Pods, but stock exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods, but stock exhaust

Ok, while assembling after a head replacement, I ran out of cusswords on the carbs, and thus was unable to continue installation.

I now posess 4 pods, and a heavily mangled airbox (Quite satisfying, actually...).

82 GS650GL with CV carbs.

Do you think I will need to do anything drastic, since I still have stock exhaust, and plan on keeping it? I am at a higher altitude (6700 ft) and the bike has always run a tad rich, but not quite enough to want to adjust it. If the pods will just push it a tad lean, it should even out. If they will push it a lot lean, let me know.

Carbs are still out, so adjustments are easy. Gonna do the drill bit/butterfly trick to get them ballparked prior to reinstall, too.

Just put the pods on and then read your plugs. You may just end up with a better running machine

Comment

I think you will be WAY too lean but lets hear from the experts.

Comment

Yup, another vote for TLTBG (too lean to be good).
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oh no

Yup those air boxes can be a pain but they do go back on I just did mine took about 1/2hour, some times you just got to sit back and have a beer and take a good look at your approach, do pods and you still have to do the needles and jets I would go 1 up on the needle slots or shims and 2 sizes up on the mains depending on how the jets come in half steps 2.5 or full steps 5.0, if in 5.0 then you would use 2 steps, higher if 2.5 then 4 steps up, thes will at least keep you from smoking your engine right of the bat. you still will need to do plug checks with the correct plug installed, but this has proved to be a good base line for me on my bikes.

Comment

Yes, you have to re-jet for pods, even with a stock exhaust. Way too lean if you don't. Larger mains, raise the needles and mixture screw adjustments, maybe even larger pilot jets. If your needles are not adjustable, you should get a jet kit. Most jet kits for pods, are designed with a free flow exhaust in mind.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well, I was afraid of that. I will put it all together and read the plugs. If I have to jet, I'm buying that V&H 4 into 1 that is sitting at the local MC scrapyard and strapping it in.

Comment

Working...
              X