Is it my clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my clutch?

allright, I had this posted in another forum I know but what I originally posted was different from what I know now.

I'm on the edge of figuring this out I think, and I just need a little advice from you all.

When I shift into first and hold in the clutch lever (when the bike's on the centerstand), the wheel starts spinning and the chain and sprockets are happy. No unusual sounds. Then I let off the lever and it gets a bit noisy and the chain starts sputtering and looking like it's going to come off the sprockets. This happens in all the gears, and even in neutral (except the wheel stops spinning) when I have the lever pulled back it is quiet, and when I let the lever out it gets noisy again.

I pulled all the plates and springs, and they seem to check out just fine.
    My chain and sprockets aren't worn, they're in line, and the cable slack as well as the clutch release mechanism are adjusted correctly.

Just to test if it was weakened springs, I put a washer shim (added about 2mm) on each spring and tightened back to torque. Filled her back with oil and started it up, and the same exact symptoms occured.

Is it indeed my clutch or something else? I'm wondering if the drive plates are worn and the driven plates aren't maybe?

Thanks,

Chad

i'm pretty sure your wheel shouldn't be spinning at all if you are in gear but have the clutch lever pulled in.

Comment

Just me taking a guess here, could the oil be like a little space filler and still allow some movement?

Comment

It will spin with the clutch engaged. Nothing abnormal. When you let the clutch out it is normal for the chain to snatch the way it's doing.

Comment

Re: Is it my clutch?

Originally posted by crc1214
          allright, I had this posted in another forum I know but what I originally posted was different from what I know now.

I'm on the edge of figuring this out I think, and I just need a little advice from you all.

When I shift into first and hold in the clutch lever (when the bike's on the centerstand), the wheel starts spinning and the chain and sprockets are happy. No unusual sounds. Then I let off the lever and it gets a bit noisy and the chain starts sputtering and looking like it's going to come off the sprockets. This happens in all the gears, and even in neutral (except the wheel stops spinning) when I have the lever pulled back it is quiet, and when I let the lever out it gets noisy again.

I pulled all the plates and springs, and they seem to check out just fine.
          My chain and sprockets aren't worn, they're in line, and the cable slack as well as the clutch release mechanism are adjusted correctly.

Just to test if it was weakened springs, I put a washer shim (added about 2mm) on each spring and tightened back to torque. Filled her back with oil and started it up, and the same exact symptoms occured.

Is it indeed my clutch or something else? I'm wondering if the drive plates are worn and the driven plates aren't maybe?

Thanks,

Chad
          I'm no ace mechanic but I don't see anything wrong other than the "noise", which is difficult to discern in text.

On the centerstand, you pull the clutch and put it into gear. The back wheel spins a bit. This is normal. It's due to viscous coupling in the wet clutch. Here's a test: if you can keep the wheel from spinning by pressing on it with two fingers, you're alright. You'll need a helper and wear gloves so you don't get hurt.

As for the chain slapping when you let the clutch out, that is also normal. You didn't mention that any increase in throttle, only letting the clutch out. Naturally, the engine bogs down. The load on the engine is so light, driving only itself, the chain, and a wheel, that it doesn't die but instead sets up a wierd rhythm in the drive train. A piston fires, the chain jerks, the wheel jerks, the chain slacks, the wheel keeps going causing chain tension, the chain slaps, the wheel reverses, a piston fires, repeat. If the chain looks like it's going to come off you may be doing your chain slack wrong. There shouldn't be that much slack in the chain.

Other than the noise you mentioned, I'd say that if it drives OK on the asphalt, you're OK.

Happy riding!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by rvahid
            i'm pretty sure your wheel shouldn't be spinning at all if you are in gear but have the clutch lever pulled in.
            The rear wheel will often spin in this situation because of viscous drag in the clutch. However, if you apply the brake to stop the wheel, you should only see a minor change in idle rpm's....any more and the clutch adjustment should be suspected.

My first reaction on reading the symptoms was that the chain adjustment was too loose. Since the adjustment has been checked, my next reaction would be to ask if you have checked the chain slack at several points around the length of the chain (i.e. turn the wheel a bit and measure again, and do this a few times). When chains wear, they often wear unevenly, resulting in loose and tight spots.

BTW, have you checked torque/tightness on the clutch basket hub nut (looseness will cause a rattle), and what are your idle rpms? Idle rpms that are too low can cause a lumpy idle that translates into chain snatch in the circumstances that you have descibed.

BB

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will look at the hub nut tonight. How do you bend that washer back over with everything still assembled? I can tell how to get it loose and then go to re-torque the bolt, but I just can't figure out how to get that washer bent back over!

Chad

Comment

Good advice above regarding the engine "lope". With the clutch lever pulled in, the wheel will spin smoothly. Release the lever and everything will start jumping under load.
                You should be able to wedge a small screwdriver blade over the washer and get it started back down on the nut. Then some channel locks or pliers to crimp it down snug? The washers are not supposed to be re-used but we all do it. You might want to crimp an additional side of the nut for insurance.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm going to go out to the garage here in a bit and check that bolt for tightness.

Here's an interesting thing though:

When I turned the clutch release adjuster screw in fairly tight (while the clutch lever was released), the noise stopped by 80%. I turned it some some more (to the point I couldn't turn it anymore, and the noise completely stopped. I backed it off 1/8 turn, and the noise was still gone. However, I couldn't get enough free-play in the cable after that (adjusted to the maximum looseness that I could), and pulling in on the clutch lever was a real bear.

I'm assuming all this did was to do what is normally done when the lever is pushed in. It compressed the springs a bit, and everything sounded good. I thought it was interesting though, and for a second I thought I had the problem licked!

Perhaps my plates are worn after all, and that's the sound I hear. Them grinding together.

Chad

Comment

Working...
                  X