Oil change time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change time

I know there has been many discussions on oil, I thank you for that to choose and oil. But the search function came up with about 2000 hits on oil change and I couldn't find what I needed.
    So what is your opinions of the interval for changing the oil and filter using standard valvoline motorcycle oil on a 80 gs1100e with an oil cooler? I'm thinking 1500 - 2000 miles. what do you say?
    Chuck

Good range 1500-2000.depepnding on how hard you ride.
    I usually do it around 1000-1500, but I ride hard.at least in my mind.

I use Castrol 10w-40 dino stuff, not synth.
    I did try castrol for "high mileage" didn't really notice a difference.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Sounds fine to me too.

Comment

This may sound a little odd, but I usually let my bike tell me when it's time for an oil change. As the oil breaks down, the engine gets a tiny bit noisier and the clutch and shifting action gets a tiny bit worse.

Depending on how hard I've been (ab)using my bike, I can just start to notice a difference in feel and noise at around 1,500 miles, and I usually end up changing the oil somewhere around 2,000 miles.

Works for me, may not work for you.

I've been using Golden Spectro 20W50, and it seems to last a good long time. But at $7 a quart, I'm open to alternatives. I just changed the oil yesterday to Valvoline Motorcycle 20W50, under $3 a quart at the local discount megastore. I'll probably try Rotella 15W40 next, since it's only $7 a gallon and has been highly recommended here.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My bike is 25 years old, 28,000 miles on it, change the oil every 3,000 miles using Castrol Synthetic Blend 10W40. Runs great, never had a problem. Change the filter with each oil change.

Comment

every 1000 miles with Castrol 20w-50 in summer, Pennzoil Long Life 15w-40 in cooler temps. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X