front master cylinder snap ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front master cylinder snap ring

Hi, I'm trying to get the snap ring out of my front master cylinder. This is on a 78 GS750. Are you supposed to contract the ring, or spread it? I assumed it had to be contracted, but I don't see any eyes on the ends for my pliers to hook into. The only other thing to do would be to spread it, and I don't see how that's going to work either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can't say for sure on your 750, but my '79 GS1000E has a snap ring that you contract or squeeze if you will. It has the two holes. Can't imagine your's does'nt. You need some snap ring pliers with a fairly long/narrow end. It comes out fairly easily but putting it back in takes practice sometimes.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hey Keith, thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, only mine looks like just a piece of wire, with a gap but no holes for the pliers to go into. I'm wondering if someone lost the original circlip and just replaced it with a piece of wire or something. I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if I can find the holes. Thanks again.

Comment

Hmmmm. Sounds like someone mickey-moused it maybe. You can go to Bikebandit and they may show a parts view that'll show you what belongs in there. By your description, it's just a circular loop with a small gap? Does it have any ends sticking out for you to grab? If no ends sticking out, how closely does it grip the sides? You have to be careful poking sharp things in there.
        If you have some ideal size wire, thin but strong, maybe you can make a loop with it and snag the end or opening in that "snap ring thing". Then you might be able to get it started out and grip it with some needle nose pliers or ? Good luck.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It's a snap ring allright, but in front of it you've got a wire ring that is supposed to hold the rubber boot in place. Dig out the wire ring, and all will be revealed! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X