Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between VM26 carbs for GS850 and GS1000 engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert, Thank you very much for your reply and turning us on to that website. Regardless if the "T" will work or not, I appreciate the effort you made. I have a feeling it will work as long as the total width of the "T" is close.
    I've done a lot of carb work and this is about the most trouble I've had with a little part. What a feeling to do a good rebuild job and then test and see gas come out of that little $@#!&%. It's a lot of work to swap the part and you have to re-synch, etc. Getting tougher and tougher to live with these old bikes.
    If Brion contacts them and the "T" will work, I just want you to know how happy you've made two people. The last few days have not been fun. But how else do we learn I guess?
    You asked for any of us who use your kits to give a review of your o-ring kits and I'll post a review soon. I should do it in the "Products Review" section I think so more members will notice.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I will have to check BS carb fitting to see if it can be reto If you are carefull I would think you could cut enough out of the old fitting to make a grouve for the O rings

Comment

Yup, I've thought of that too. Might be some trial and error to it, but certainly possible. Now that Roberts showed us that parts source, I'll be on pins and needles 'til Brion contacts me.
        To quote that saying in "The Shawshank Redemption"..."Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things".
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Maybe we should get a group buy If someone had a lathe I would bet they could make a brass one without too much trouble! The later style BS carb fuel fitting will NOT fit

Comment

Guys

Assuming the part works, how many of you want a spare "T" fitting?

I'll certainly buy at least two, one for me and one for Keith to have as a back-up. It's the least I can do, given the hassle he's gone through with my carbs.

Earl, Lynn, Robert, how 'bout you? You guys have been good to me. Unless the part is outrageously priced, it'll be my treat at the "T" fitting ice cream stand! All part of the GSR spirit.

Also, Keith, the guy I got the carbs from had a GS850 and had a spare set of carbs for his bike. Who knows, maybe his spare set you're working on actually did come off a GS1000. With bikes this old, and lots of scavenging from parts bikes, no wonder there's so much confusion.

Comment

I have the Ts off my VM26s spare, but a fat lot of good to you guys over there!

The VM26/28 story had a thread a while back. People got confused because different markets got different bikes. Over in Australia and the UK we got the VM28s on the last of the slide carb bikes, with some of the S models with bigger slide carbs again. The 78 model definitely only came here with the VM26, but the VM28 was an upgrade for later ones. Years ago I put on K900 28 mm carbs to get around the problem. Easier to tune as well, as the pilot circuit has onlt the pilot screw.

People may have played around putting 1000 carbs on 850s in the belief they would get more power. From memory putting in the cams off a 750/850 into a 1000 makes a difference as the 1000 cams are milder.

Comment

Brion, just remember to ask them the overall size of the 29's "T". 2 1/4" end to end, and 1 1/4" is the width of the metal body. Obviously, each end that goes into the carb inlet is close to 1/2". I really don't think the diameter of the inlets would differ. But if you want me to check after work, I'll even measure the diameters with my verniers.

Comment

I appreciate the offer Brion, but I dont have any Tee problems. My biggest problem is occasionally dribbling a little beer. :-) thanks though.

Earl

quote="bgk"]

Earl, Lynn, Robert, how 'bout you? You guys have been good to me. Unless the part is outrageously priced, it'll be my treat at the "T" fitting ice cream stand! All part of the GSR spirit.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl: That's alcohol abuse!

However, with all the trouble Keith has had with my carbs, I'll bet he has been dribbling or will soon dribble some beer. That would be forgiven, given the special circumstances!

Keith: I both phoned and emailed motorcyclecarbs.com today, after 10 AM east coast time. I just got voice mail when I called. No response via phone or email yet. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Lynn, you're on the same track I was on a while back; I was wondering about the rubberized 'T' on the BS series, and the notion of "Mini-Lathe" sprang up right away.

I haven't been bitten by that bug; some poor folks have it chronically, with multiple workbenches, jigs, stock storage, etc. A true MiniLathe fanatic would be ecstatic at the notion of someone needing his / her services & equipment.

I wonder if there's a Usenet group for MiniLathe users?

Comment

Guys,

Am I screwed? My email to motorcyclecarbs.com is as follows (you've got to read it from the bottom, up!):

T's are $39.95 and are made to fit as needed.

The VM26/268 is no longer available but it does not matter as it wont fit your application anyways.

We would need a sample of your tee to make one. It seems that every make and every model, and every year has a different tee and to this day we have never seen an application where a tee is the same on one yr/make/mdl as another.

The tee we provide will be brass with oring grooves and orings installed.

S/H is $6.95 USPS Priority Mail when we get it from our machine shop.

Robert P. Reil
                        Managing Director,
                        Motorcyclecarbs.com, Inc.
                        745 Birchwood Rd. SW
                        Marietta, Ga. 30060
                        Office 770-435-3372
                        Fax 770-435-3377

-----Original Message-----
                        Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:42 PM
                        To: sales@motorcyclecarbs.com
                        Subject: Fuel "T" fitting for Mikuni VM26 carbs

Hi,

I'd like to buy a couple of fuel line "T" fittings for a 4-carb set of Mikuni VM 26 carbs (one "T" to install, one "T" for a spare).

The application is for a 1979 Suzuki GS1000.

I looked at your parts diagram for a VM 29, http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/mikun.../VM29frame.htm and I think I
                        need:

Diagram ID number: 8

Description: "fuel joint"

Part number: VM26 / 268

Is this the right part number for a fuel line "T" fitting for a VM 26 carb (even though it's a VM 29 diagram and parts list)?

What is the price per "T" fitting?

What is the price for the four O-rings for each "T" fitting?

What is the price for shipping?

Please email back or phone me at 508-878-0234.

Thank you.

Brion Koning

Comment

Just to be sure: We've tried going through a cooperative Suzuki dealership?

Comment

this place has a lot of vm26 carbs. thay have been striped clean of fuel needle valves. cascades is hard to tell when thay are open. the guys there kinda work when thay need to.

Cascade Motorcycle Salvage
                            2404 N Old State Rd 37
                            Bloomington, IN 47404-2050
                            Phone: (812) 336-3149

Comment

Just read the news. Rats! What they said about every model and every year having a different "T" would at least explain why the three I have all fit differently in the same carb inlets. I don't buy it though. They did say "seems". The one "T" my local salvage yard had was off a Kawa' KZ650 and was identical. It simply would'nt make sense for the "T' to be exactly the same except for a couple of hundreds different diameter rubber ends.
                              I'm sure the real reason is what conditions each "T" has been exposed to over time. The rubber actually feels OK on the three I have, but I don't know what a new one would feel like. I'm sure we're talking about .02" thicker would make his seal. I wonder if rubber tape is gas resistant? I don't know. I could call 3M possibly and ask. If they said it would seal against gas, I could cut a 1/8" or so thin strip and wrap it around any part of the "T" I choose. You could not build up on the raised ribs because I'm sure we only need a couple of hundreds. Rubber tape has to wrap on itself at least a little so it will meld into itself. This would result in something too thick. But if I wrapped it between the two raised ribs, I could stretch it and probably get two full wraps and experiment until I have just the right fit. The "T" may or may not still swivel but that's not critical anyways. It's easy to slip the fuel line on and off without the "T" being swiveled. I could install it so it's facing just right anyways.
                              This is just a thought. It would work as long as the rubber tape is gas resistant. There may be a similar kind of tape out there that is gas resistant.
                              I'm also wondering if someone makes a gas resistant liquid sealer that can be brushed on? Just apply a coat, let it dry and you're in business.
                              Another thought is I could take some fine wire that's similar in size to Roberts fuel tube o-rings and heat it up and try melting a groove into the rubber ends. If I can get the right size wire and gradually melt the groove more and more, eventually his o-rings may fit in without stretching. This is assuming his o-rings are the size we need, which I believe they are.
                              I might try practicing something on one of the three I have.
                              The different fit of each part is the problem. You could have 10 people send you one and none of them fit. We'll figure out something.
                              Thanks for the help you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
                                Just to be sure: We've tried going through a cooperative Suzuki dealership?
                                I'm going to try my dealer tomorrow. You never know. Maybe an NOS one gathering dust in the back?

Comment

Working...
                                X