Big Gas Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Gas Leak

I just bought an 81 GS850G with only 3500 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said it might need a new fuel line because when he took it outlast year, it started leaking gas. Well I got it home, inspected the line and there was no problem. I started up the bike and soon enough, gas starts pouring out of the air cleaner box. Please help, I don't know whats going on here.

You probably have a bad petcock, bad carb bowl float levels, or both.

Does your petcock have just one tube or one big and another small?

Michael

Comment

its got one big one and a smaller one comming out of it, but I don't think thats the problem. I ended up taking the carburators apart ans there was all kinds of corrosion that I ended up cleaning out, and the needle and seat for the floats were also quite clogged.

Comment

So is the problem fixed?

Michael

Comment

I'm not sure yet. there was a small plastic peice in the top of the carb. that was melted that I had to order. hopefully it will be in monday or tuesday. then I'll find out if it is fixed or not.

Comment

If you take the top cover off the carb, the is like a plastic rod thats connected to a metal pin that goes down to the bottom of the carb.

Comment

Did you reorder just that piece or a whole carb?

Michael

Comment

I just ordered the plastic and metal rods. The Entire carb was $218 each. I only paid $500 for the bike.

Comment

When I tried something like that on a Honda they wouldn't let me buy just one piece. All or nothing... I chose nothing.

Michael

Comment

yea, i think thats usually how it is, but I have a friend that works at a dealership and he just pulled up a diagram of the carb, and just chose those individual parts to order.

Comment

Dealers are minions of Satan. I'm sure of it. Glad you got a special connection though. Grrr... Dealers aggravate me. You know that if you were just Joe Nobody they would be all or nothing on the carb. Not that they can't sell you just one piece. They just want to twist your arm and milk the money out... Grrrrrr.. Hisss

Michael

Comment

oh yea, i know what you mean. the only reason I know him is cuz my dad bought a bike new from the dealership and put like $3000 worth of accessories on it through this guy in parts.

Comment

aight well, my parts finally came in and I put them in the carb this morning and tried starting it... I get the same exact problem. The bike starts, then begins to leak gas out the airbox side of the carbs. I don't know what to do at this point. I paid very little for the bike (basically cuz I'm broke) and for new carbs. I was quoted a price of $218 each and I would probably need all 4. which is much more than I paid for the bike to begine with.

Comment

Don't be discouraged. Your contact with a money-grubbin dealer has you thinking that you have to throw money at the problem. The problem is still your floats or petcock.

So where, exactly, is this gas coming from?

Michael

Comment

Cheap Carbs for GS850

You can buy carbs for this bike on ebay real cheap. Just do a search
                              for GS850 on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X