clutch rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch rattle

when I introduced myself above I was told my model develops a clutch rattle. How true, it does, 49k,
    GS1000, 1978--the poster also referred to a fix he had done by Vance and Hines--something welded and new springs, I think.

It is only at cold start up and goes away in a few minutes--what is it? is it a progressive thing that eventually takes a dump and dies?
    can I fix it myself?

If this is specialized stuff I don't mind spending the money to have it done right--bike is new to me and a real keeper.

Also, hard to define but I have the slightest feeling that the front end wants to wobble--hasn't yet, but at maybe 40 mph on a gentle curver it just doesn't feel planted and am wondering if it's typical?
    Tire is metzler about 1/3 used, no sign of cupping--there are weights on the mags--forks are braced only with what comes inside the big chrome fender--steering dampeners needed on these? available or home made only?

This is a great forum and I've been absorbing posts back to the stone age and couldn't find anything about these issues--

thanks, bob in eureka ca......

Check out this thread about the clutch rattle: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=20320 .

There have been many posts on this subject. Try searching for "clutch AND rattle" (with the capital AND).

As for the wobble:

Search for "wobble".

Comment

THANK YOU

Harry,
      I appreciate that a lot--I go to several forums for other bikes that really have crummy search features so I didn't even try it---just spent hours fruitlessly going back a page at a time---

found out everything I needed to know with the search--thank you again-this forum rocks--

bob, in eureka (sort of near Nome)

Comment

jojo, thanks for helping eurekabob.
        I believe I'm the one that posted about the clutch basket fix. I paid $250 about 4 years ago to Vance and Hines. All I know is the independent owner of the shop sent it out to another shop for the work. It came back welded and with heavier damper springs. No more rattle. It had rattled for several years and did'nt seem to cause any other problems.
        The steering bearings have to be adjusted just right on these bikes. In my opinion, loose steering bearings is the most common cause of wobble. If you tighten it down a little, be sure to loosen the upper fork pinch bolts first, to avoid binding.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X