83 1100E starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E starter problem

for awhile i had bin getting odd rattling noises, i didnt have time to check to much out. the other day while sitting at a red light my starter when nuts, sounded like it was turning with the engine. luckly the light turned green and i turn off, (still going nuts) i killed it. after that the starter would just freewheel. (not turn the engine) but iv had to ride it, push starting is a blast. id like to order the parts while keeping it driveable, do you guys have an idea of what failed? or should i just bite it and pull the cover off. im sure its something with the starter clutch, can i replace the broken part or will i need to replace the entire clutch assembly? thanks.

are you saying that the starter just spins when you are driving?? OR The starter spins as soon as you turn the ignitionon. The free wheeling when you try to use it to start the bike usually means your starter clutch is not engageing, Most often that is caused bu shearing some bolts or sometimes they just come loose and fall out. mine are welded. Runnin it like that can end up costly. The crank end may be in jepordy if you keep putting off taking the thing apart. It usually requires a special puller to remove the rotor so you Can get at the drive.
    Then if you decide to remOve the stator cover there is a special method that some folks use but the method blongs in the off topic forum. :roll:
    DONT HESITATE TOSTART THE REPAIR

Comment

i was sitting at a light and the starter began to spin with the engine. after i killed it the starter would just free wheel. after i push started it the starter next spun with the engine again. method?? afew days before it broke there was alot of rattling noises happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jubba
        i was sitting at a light and the starter began to spin with the engine. after i killed it the starter would just free wheel. after i push started it the starter next spun with the engine again. method?? afew days before it broke there was alot of rattling noises happening.
        Sounds like your starter solenoid contacrs may be sticking in adition to the start drive being bad. try replacing the solenoid first t eliminate the free spinning of the starter.

Comment

Working...
        X