airbox modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox modifications

hey, if I drill holes in my air box and rejet my carbs will I see any significant horsepower increase?? I ride a GS400E 1982, and yes I'm a young dumb idiot that is just lookin for another thing to play around with

if I change up the mufflers will that help any, possilby pod filters......

Comment

we all get sucked in to wanting to make our bikes go a little faster, it gets to be a goal, something alot of people get stuck in to, kinda chasing a white rabbit. the next step if you can afford it, is maybe a bigger bike. I spent alot of money when i was a kid, making a CB900 go fast, and it did after a few years and alot of cash, JMC swinginarm braced frame, bigger carbs ported, mag race wheels, it was a sweet bike for a honda, my advice is to take a step up, if you can afford it

Comment

I agree with joe.d
        Making minor mods will not give you that much more power and that's IF you re-jet correctly. I have a feeling even pods/pipe will not really satisfy you. You may even loose some low end grunt, something a 400 can't afford. I suggest a larger bike too.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

air

I would also wonder just how much you would get out of the money and hassle. These GS's are so picky about the air supply to start with. Once you start opening up the air box you have close down the air at some point otherwise you run too lean and the performance is just plain bad. I know that rejetting can get more fuel in, but it just seems like such a hassle to get 3 MPH out of these GS's

Comment

Turbo it! :twisted: or get a 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
              Turbo it! :twisted:

That would be funny, but could be quite interesting.

If you like the physical size of the 400, and the whole look it has going for it, and don't mind not having gobs of power, go ahead and mod it. I would suggest pods over air box mods for a more predictable out come, then you'll need a pipe, and a jet kit. If you do everything right you'll see some gains, but it usually comes at the cost of low end.

If you want gains that are more noticable, get a bigger bike. The 83 - 85 750(700) would be a nice step up. The step from 750 to 1100 or 1150 is as big as from a 400to a 750, so jumping from a 400 to an 1150 may not be a good move.

Comment

I hate to be contrary, but a lot of people would rather upgrade what they have instead of getting something new..

Anyway, the pipe and airbox are a great start, and as previously posted any power you make at the top is going to have to come from the middle or bottom.

My GS1000E has a few mods and below 6000rpm it is flat, coughs, splutters and is generally unpleasant. I have to drag the clutch to get it off the line, but boy, when on the cam it all comes together and just works..

Go out, chuck your money at it, and have fun. Above all else, have fun. CJ

Comment

I vote for the bigger bike, too. My 850 is a great bike. Even though I see a lot of other bikes in my mirrors, the 850 can't come close to my 1100 for power.

But I really like riding my 850. It is completely stock and runs great. I think I like riding a reliable, well-tuned, and smooth-running bike most of all.

Comment

the 400 is not going to give you much more . You may not notice the diference except for the intake and exhaust noises. Please dont drill holes in the air box. Go for a K&N filter. But most changes will be money out the window. How much HP do you have now and what do you think you will end up with?? 10% of what?? Just some thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X