Bad Gas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Gas??

My bike has been sitting for about a month and a half, the tank is 3/4 full, the bike sounds and runs like its on 3 cylinders. checked spark its ok, all 4 pipes are very hot immediatly. so i'm guessing its firing on all 4, but maybe thier is water in the gas, it's been thru 3 hurricanes recently uncovered? i know but cover blew off with the 50mph plus winds. any help? i'm gonna drain tank, and refill. can i get automotive gas treatment to dry out or no

Drain the floatbowls too and check the float valves/seat/screen for any junk. Any moisture get under the ignition cover? Might want to spray some contact cleaner and make sure it's real dry in there.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ok, i have the tank off draining out gas. should i start bike and runs till it dies to get all gas and water out. the ignition cover bolts are tight, but i guess it cant hurt to take off and spray with contact cleaner, just spray a little bit or alot?

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
        ok, i have the tank off draining out gas. should i start bike and runs till it dies to get all gas and water out. the ignition cover bolts are tight, but i guess it cant hurt to take off and spray with contact cleaner, just spray a little bit or alot?
        I would at least take out the float bowl drain screws. The bowls won't completely drain unless the screws are taken out.
        Just spray enough contact cleaner to displace any moisture. It completely evaporates, so you can't really spray too much on.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Also, watch what comes out of the bowls. If there's water, you'll easily see it. That may be the only problem.
          After priming the bowls and re-starting, if it still feels like 3 cylinders and you do have spark, turn the bike off and take out the bowl drain screws again. The bike needs to be on the centerstand BEFORE you turn it off for an accurate fuel amount check. Be careful to collect ALL the fuel that runs out of each bowl. If one of the bowls doesn't have as much fuel as the others, then I bet that carb has a dirty/clogged float valve/seat/screen.

Comment

ok the water is the stuff that is collecting together? i just drained a bowl, and its a little dirty. and like liquid clumping together darker than the gas, i'm guessing thats the water, i'm on my way to get some contact cleaner and just spray the bowls and maybe the exposed floats?

Comment

ok the water is the stuff that is collecting together? i just drained a bowl, and its a little dirty. and like liquid clumping together darker than the gas, i'm guessing thats the water, i'm on my way to get some contact cleaner and just spray the bowls and maybe the exposed floats?
              Sounds like water to me and maybe some dirt/rust mixed in. Drain all four bowls.
              By the way, after priming the bowls, always remember to turn the petcock lever back to "ON". Did you take out the drain screws only, or are you taking off the bowls too?

Comment

Also, it sounds like you may have junk in your tank that's reaching the carbs. Flush the tank out as best you can. See rust particles?

Comment

yes got 1 bowl off, just got back with contact cleaner and a angled screwdriver, its dirty gas, and rust, taking other 3 off now, going to clean and re install.shouldn't the petcock screen catch all these particles? or is that just reserve

Comment

yes got 1 bowl off, just got back with contact cleaner and a angled screwdriver, its dirty gas, and rust, taking other 3 off now, going to clean and re install.shouldn't the petcock screen catch all these particles? or is that just reserve
                    Ok. Since you're removing the bowls, here's what I'd do. As you remove parts, lay them on a clean surface in exact order, just as they came out. Keep each carbs parts seperated, don't mix parts from different carbs.
                    Put a large rag down under the carbs so you don't drop stuff and lose it. After removing/cleaning the bowls, take out the float pin and float, then remove the float valve and it's seat/screen. Clean the parts and look up into the carb to see if any more junk is up there. Clean all four and inspect all four.
                    Before you re-install the float valve assy's, put down more rags or a shallow tray and pour some fresh fuel into the fuel line to help rinse out any junk still in the carb passages. Also blow air through the fuel line, compressed air if you can. Then rinse again.
                    Now re-install the valve assy's. Don't over-tighten. A few ft/lb is enough. Re-install the inside (2/3) carb floats first and their bowls. Now install the outer floats and bowls and tighten things up.
                    Flush the tank as best you can. If it's rusting, it will need repairs to avoid this problem again. The petcock filter doesn't always stop fine rust particles. It should be cleaned too, along with the inside of the petcock. Remember, taking things off may create gasket leaks after re-assembly.
                    To do a complete job, you may want to get any gaskets/parts needed.
                    Inspect the fuel line and vacuum line, replace if cracking or hardening.
                    After it's all back together, prime the bowls, turn the petcock back to "ON" and start the bike. If the bike runs good, that's it.

I have to leave soon, so if the bike still has the problem, do this check.
                    Run the bike, on the centerstand always. Turn off and immediately drain one float bowl by removing just the drain screw. Catch all the gas in a seperate container. Now start the bike again for a minute, turn off and repeat this same procedure to the next bowl. Continue and do all four bowls and keep their contents seperate and in carb # order. The reason you should do one bowl at a time is because if you just turn it off and drain all four bowls at once, by the time you get to the problem bowl it may have filled up with fuel and give you a "false" amount read. If that bowl is not filling normally due to a fuel blockage, the fuel will slowly trickle through the blockage and give you a false read. The amount will appear Ok but in reality the bowl is not filling up fast enough to keep up with demand and fuel starvation results. Now compare the amounts. If one container has less fuel in it, then that carb is the one that's starving for fuel and not allowing that cylinder to fire good.
                    Because you cleaned everything, you should not see any amount differences. If you do, then you have more junk in the tank/petcock/carb body and you'll have to take things completely apart. Good luck! I'll check in later if you still need help.

Comment

thank you very much. been awhile since i been on, but you guys are the best

Comment

thank you very much. been awhile since i been on, but you guys are the best
                        So is the bike OK now?

Comment

i need to finish up and get gas in the morning, got my fingers crossed

Comment

If it happens again you can try drygas additive

Comment

yea, i dont plan on letting her sit that long again i have an oil leak i am trying to fix, so it dosn't get rode much

Comment

Working...
                              X