Ignition/Starter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition/Starter Problem

I'm having porblems with the ignition (I think). the bike will start no problem. but turning the key does nothing. Kill switch still works but the bike is staying in the on position.

The key will turn and can be removed but bike stays on.

Help?
    my riding season is fading fast and i don't wanna miss out

Thanks
    James
    83gs550es

Sounds like the ignition switch to me too. Contacts not lining up?
    Hows the wiring/insulation look? Signs of over-heating so two wires could join?
    If no obvious signs, maybe a good shot of graphite or ? in the key hole will help?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Graphite in the key won't do any good??? Check the ign switch located on the bottom of the key/switch assembly Could be broken or just come loose?? Have you done any wiring reciently??? maybe crossed a power wire?? If the switch is bad you could use a toggle switch to make it work

Comment

Graphite or a thin lubricant down the key hole is just a last resort thing. Couldn't hurt. Always a small chance it might help the contacts.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I haven't done any wiring on the bike at all

i'll take a look at the ign switch hen i have the time to pull her apart

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          X