Battery Boil outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Boil outs

I currently have a 1982 GS850G with about 45K on the clock. Over the past year I've noticed that if I don't check the battery every 2 weeks or so, the fluid level in the battery will be very low and need distilled water. This issue really caused me problems on a 2600 mile, 2 week trip to the Blue Ridge this summer. I checked the battery before I left and adjusted fluid levels, but would up with a completely dry battery on the return trip at around 2,000 miles and had to replace the battery. This seemed rather unusual. Otherwise, the bike runs great with no problems. I'm puzzled at the loss of water in the battery at such short intervals. Bad regulator? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Daddy-O

You defininitely need to check the regulator, but you also need to check the grounds for both the battery and the regulator.

The only reason for boilovers is an input that exceeds the amount needed to maintain a normal charge, which suggests a regulator problem, but they can also be caused by a poor ground which gives incorrect information to the regulator, and may cause it to continue allowing a charge (or at a higher rate of charge) longer than necessary.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
      You defininitely need to check the regulator, but you also need to check the grounds for both the battery and the regulator.

The only reason for boilovers is an input that exceeds the amount needed to maintain a normal charge, which suggests a regulator problem, but they can also be caused by a poor ground which gives incorrect information to the regulator, and may cause it to continue allowing a charge (or at a higher rate of charge) longer than necessary.
      I second that.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        Originally posted by argonsagas

I second that.
        I third that!

Comment

We have 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd - Motion Carried.

Next order of bussiness is to get a volt meter, if you dont all ready. I noticed that you didnt mention any voltage readings.

DaddyO, Lets us know what else you find.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X