Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Dyna coils, what else do I need with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin, if you want to test your leads for interference i've got a micro/radio-wave tester ying around @ work.

Is a new set of (dyna) coils a must to install electronic ignition?

Ser

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
      I was planning to use Dynatek suppression wires with the NGK caps I bought 50 miles ago. I sent an e-mail to Scott at Dynatek today, asking if I could clip off their caps and install the original spec NGK caps without problems.
      Scott replied to my query as follows: "Yes, you may cut off the supplied boots and use the NGK caps. If these are resistor caps I would suggest the DW200 plug wires instead though."

Those DW200 wires he suggests are solid copper, not suppression core. I'm guessing my original-equipment coil/wire units on the '81 GS1100EX have solid wires matched with NGK resistor caps. True?

Comment

I was planning to use Dynatek suppression wires with the NGK caps I bought 50 miles ago. I sent an e-mail to Scott at Dynatek today, asking if I could clip off their caps and install the original spec NGK caps without problems.
        Scott replied to my query as follows: "Yes, you may cut off the supplied boots and use the NGK caps. If these are resistor caps I would suggest the DW200 plug wires instead though."

Those DW200 wires he suggests are solid copper, not suppression core. I'm guessing my original-equipment coil/wire units on the '81 GS1100EX have solid wires matched with NGK resistor caps. True?
        Yes Al it is true they are a solid core wire.
        Dink

Comment

The way I understand it is you could either use suppressor caps and copper wire, or standard caps with carbon wire. You should not use both suppressor caps AND carbon wire. I am going to try carbon core wires to see if it will quiet my system a little.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Okay. So, I'm going to use solid copper wires and my new NGK resistor caps. Do I run the resistor spark plug my manual specifies in addition to the resistor caps? Help!

Comment

NO, you dont need both. Use the standard spark plug.

Earl

Okay. So, I'm going to use solid copper wires and my new NGK resistor caps. Do I run the resistor spark plug my manual specifies in addition to the resistor caps? Help!
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have for a little more than a year on my 1150 used Accel high output coils, graphite wires and automotive non resistor caps with standard non resistor spark plugs. I havent checked for radio interference as I dont use a radio while riding and I stop if I want to use my phone. The bike runs better than ever with this combination and there has been no problem. I have had a Dyna 2000 electronic ignition system installed for 2 1/2 years and the coils, wires and plug caps have no negative effect on the ignition system. The ignition system CPU is mounted on a vibration isolated shelf between the battery and rear fender.

I used a set of 3 ohm Dyna coils, automotive non resistor plug wires (copper stranded cores) and NGK 5K ohm resistor caps and standard plugs for some years on my 750. That combination was never a problem with a points ignition system or a Dyna "S" ignition system. However since as I said, I dont use a radio, I have no idea how much, or if any radio static would result.

The spark plug wires on Dyna coils plug in the same way they do on an automotive coil. You will need to strip the casing back 10-15 mm, turn the center strand back over the wire and crimp on the ends that press fit into the Dyna coil. The spark plug end and caps install with the same crimp on sleeve. Once the sleeve in installed, the rubber cap/boot slides down over it. (dont forget to put the rubber cap/boot on first, then install the crimp on connectors. Also, "grease" the wires with some liquid dish soap. It will make sliding the boots over about 100 times easier. :-)

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl - How do the Dyna's compare to the Accels? Any thoughts on which is better?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

From a performance standpoint, the Accels win by a big margin. You can feel the difference in power when riding the bike. From an ease of installation view, the Dyna is easier beause it is a straight bolt in place and the same size as original equipment. The Accels are larger. The Accels fit into the same place as original coils, but it is a tight fit. Also, the mount hole spacing on the Accel bracket is not the same as the mount holes on the Suzuki frames. If I remember correctly the hole spacing on the bike is 4 1/2" and the hole spacing on the Accel bracket is 5". You have to drill one hole in each 1/16" thick steel bracket. Also, I prefer the plug caps that come with the Accel coils. They snap on to the plugs tight.

Accel coils come in 2.2 or 3 or 5 ohm. I'm using the 3 ohm for electronic ignitions (particularly Dyna)

Dyna is better than stock, and I had good luck with them. I'll stick with the Accel now.

Earl

quote="Mr. Jiggles"]Earl - How do the Dyna's compare to the Accels? Any thoughts on which is better?

Thanks,

Jeff[/quote]

Comment

Earl, you say the Accel coils perform better than the Dyna coils. How?
                      The spark provided by the Dyna's is always fat and blue. Their voltage is 35K compared to the stock 10K. The 35K seems to be more than enough.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Idle and acceleration are both stronger and smoother. The bike is set to idle at 1200 rpm as it always has been. With the Accels, never touching the throttle, I can engage 1st, get rolling, shift to 2nd, and when that tops out, shift to 3rd, and it will pull it, still never touching the throttle. It would never do that with the Dyna's or stock coils. With Dyna or stock, without throttle, that would kill the engine tying to start off in in first.

I didnt have graphite leads on the Dyna's as I do on the Accel, so that may make some difference. I also run about 1/2 the resistance on my plug wires and caps with the Accel that I had on the Dyna setup. Maybe some difference there too.

When checking spark on the plugs with the Accels, it is bright blue white and and when the plugs fire, there is a loud snap, about what you would hear from a kids cap gun being fired. :-) Well, maybe not quite that loud, but it is certainly healthy. eh
                        Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                        The spark provided by the Dyna's is always fat and blue. Their voltage is 35K compared to the stock 10K. The 35K seems to be more than enough.

Comment

Earl- are the graphite wires you use with your accel coils from the coil kit that they sell or are they some other aftermarkets?

Thanks (again)

Jeff

Comment

I am using the 8mm silicone encased graphite wire that comes in the Kit cycle recycle sells crc2onlinecatalog. I will be buying another set of them for the 1100ED I traded my 750 for. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                            Earl- are the graphite wires you use with your accel coils from the coil kit that they sell or are they some other aftermarkets?

Thanks (again)

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                              Idle and acceleration are both stronger and smoother. The bike is set to idle at 1200 rpm as it always has been. With the Accels, never touching the throttle, I can engage 1st, get rolling, shift to 2nd, and when that tops out, shift to 3rd, and it will pull it, still never touching the throttle. It would never do that with the Dyna's or stock coils. With Dyna or stock, without throttle, that would kill the engine tying to start off in in first.

I didnt have graphite leads on the Dyna's as I do on the Accel, so that may make some difference. I also run about 1/2 the resistance on my plug wires and caps with the Accel that I had on the Dyna setup. Maybe some difference there too.

When checking spark on the plugs with the Accels, it is bright blue white and and when the plugs fire, there is a loud snap, about what you would hear from a kids cap gun being fired. :-) Well, maybe not quite that loud, but it is certainly healthy. eh
                              Earl

Both the Dyna's and the Accel's put out 35K volts. So neither brand would out perform the other. Maybe your leads/lower resistance set up made some difference.
                              You can't go wrong with either brand. Both are an upgrade from stock.
                              You got stock in Accel?
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I wish I had stock in accel, :-) or Dyna for that matter. Accels are better because they are yellow and I like the contrast. :-)

Earl

You can't go wrong with either brand. Both are an upgrade from stock.
                                You got stock in Accel?

Comment

Working...
                                X