Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

petcock help. This id different I swear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock help. This id different I swear.

i have a 79 750L that I bought in August. It doesn't start and I have narrowed the problem down to the petcock not letting any fuel through. It has three settings: On, Reserve, and Prime. The vaccum and fuel lines are attached and it still doesn't let any fuel through, even on prime.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Time to take it out.

You could just get the rebuild for it and be glad it didn't fill your case with gas.

If you want to see if it works in the on position hook a vacume pump to the vacume line and put some vacume on it to see if the fuel flows.

Might be time to clean the screen, and acid wash the inside of the tank.

Vinegar works as well as anything.... just top it off and wait a week or so.

Comment

Sounds clogged up to me. When the petcock is in PRIME, you should be able to blow into the fuel line.
      The tank may be dirty or rusting and this would clog the petcock. If you remove the petcock from the tank to clean both, remember you may need a new tank o-ring/gasket to avoid leaks after re-assembly.
      If you're lucky, you may be able to clean by just removing the petcock front plate and cleaning the passages behind there. Then shake the tank with a little gas in it to help clean the petcock screen and drain.
      It's always best to do a complete cleaning by cleaning the tank and petcock seperately though.
      I only mention the possibly easier way because it may work and save you the trouble of getting a new tank o-ring/gasket. If you do remove the petcock, the old o-ring may be OK but don't count on it. You don't want fuel dripping onto a hot motor.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
        You don't want fuel dripping onto a hot motor.
        hehe, the memories. CM400 many years ago.. cruising down the hiway...
        "What's that light between my legs...?"

YIPES! hit petcock off and drift to the side of the road with legs sticking up in the air.

Comment

Working...
        X