Air box displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor
    Simon, Simon, how many times must I explain that in south Florida, the system of measurement is yonders, fer pieces and right heahs. :-)

Earl
    Now I am confused! Shouldn't the volume measurement be in sips, slurps, messes and sh*tpot-fulls, then? :?

BB

Comment

Hi Earl:

Your original question was air box shape and volume important. I would say yes, but I cannot tell you how much and which is the most critical attribute.

Air box volume will affect midrange more and top end somewhat.

Air box intake opening sq. inches should stay the same and not be near the outlet. Watch shape of the openings, square flow differently than round for a given area. Rectangular shapes actually flow a little less than a circular shape of the same area, for instance. The conversion factor is 1/1.273 X rectangular area is the equivalent area for a round opening.

Air box volume should be equivalent or larger if possible.

Box shape? Unless you have a large volume with a snorkel or an hourglass shape, you should get no weird "tuning effects". I've played with snorkels and they affect tuning ALOT.

Keeping your airbox does make the powerband wider and the peak a little lower, so I can see why you want to keep it.

The modern trend is larger airbox and exhaust volumes. - Dieter

Comment

Thanks for the input Tony, much appreciated. Your accessment of the whats and whys of the situation mirror my own and I am still thinking before starting any modification to the intake system. I figure If I change the system, the best I could hope for is to be able to equal the characteristics the engineers designed into it in the first place. I want to retain those parameters (balanced induction/exhaust system)

I want to be able to remove the airbox easily for access to the battery.
        The solution I have decided on is to wax the right lower side of the airfilter box around the snorkel. (t is that section that protrudes and will not allow removal of the box.) Around the base of the snorkel, I will lay up a 2" wide flange of epoxy fiberglass. Once cured, it will release from the plastic airbox. Then, I will cut the snorkel box off off the side of the airfilter box with a cut line such that my cut line is in the middle of where my 2" epoxy flange was. Then I epoxy the flange to the cut off snorkel box. Now I have a snorkel box with a contoured flange that mates to the side of the airbox. A litttle bit of weatherstripping and a few screws and it is back in place. It can be removed easily after removing the right side body panel/plastic cover. I get to keep a smooth running bike, wide powerband and normal tuning characteristics. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Tony Dieter
        Hi Earl:

Your original question was air box shape and volume important. I would say yes, but I cannot tell you how much and which is the most critical attribute.

Air box volume will affect midrange more and top end somewhat.

Air box intake opening sq. inches should stay the same and not be near the outlet. Watch shape of the openings, square flow differently than round for a given area. Rectangular shapes actually flow a little less than a circular shape of the same area, for instance. The conversion factor is 1/1.273 X rectangular area is the equivalent area for a round opening.

Air box volume should be equivalent or larger if possible.

Box shape? Unless you have a large volume with a snorkel or an hourglass shape, you should get no weird "tuning effects". I've played with snorkels and they affect tuning ALOT.

Keeping your airbox does make the powerband wider and the peak a little lower, so I can see why you want to keep it.

The modern trend is larger airbox and exhaust volumes. - Dieter
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have the 821100e and always just removed the airbox to get the battery out. It was a little tight but could be done. I would lube up the rubber boots a little to make things slide a little better.

Only after having the carbs on and off a few times to clean them did I put the pods on. I just couldn't take the agrevation anymore.

I have had little problems with the pods but I jetted it in early spring in the cool air and my performance changed as the summer went on and it got hotter and the air was thinner.

I plan to revisit my jetting this spring
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

On my 83, the only way the airfilterbox will come out from the top is if I crush the left side of the box about 3/4". Naaaaa, not doing that. :-)

Earl

[quote="pano"]
            I have the 821100e and always just removed the airbox to get the battery out. It was a little tight but could be done. I would lube up the rubber boots a little to make things slide a little better.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Are you aware that to remove the battery fully you still have to take the tank off and the mounting crossbar that holds the tank? Sure you'll be able to access it and check the water levels and such, but I couldn't believe it when I treid to pull the battery out. I don't like to charge it over the winter while it's still in the bike, just in case the thing bubbles over for some stupid mistake of mine.

When I fisrt got my 83 1100 I was like "Huh. Wonder why the tank mounting crossbar is bolted and removeable." Then I went to remove the damn battery. "Oh, that why it's removeable."
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

On my '83 GS1100 the battery practically jumps out by itself. It must be the cubic foot or so of empty space created when I removed the airbox and installed the hated (by Earl) PODS......................

HAHAHAHAHA!

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

OH go buy a flyswatter and join Dink for a pleasant afternoon of wallaby swatting.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                  On my '83 GS1100 the battery practically jumps out by itself. It must be the cubic foot or so of empty space created when I removed the airbox and installed the hated (by Earl) PODS......................

HAHAHAHAHA!

Joe

Comment

OH go buy a flyswatter and join Dink for a pleasant afternoon of wallaby swatting.

HEY DINK! When would you like to get together and swat some wallabies? We both have plenty of time on our hands since we don't waste it wrestling with airboxes. If we can't find any wallabies we could spend the time chatting about how strong our bikes run with all that extra air flow ......

Sorry, Earl. I just couldn't resist! 8)
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

:-) heh heh

E.

Comment

Jethro,

To remove the battery on my 82 I leave the tank on, remove the 4 bolts from the sides of the bracket that holds the tank down near the seat and lift the tank up and prop it up with an empty 2 liter soda bottle or something else nearby. I then have plenty of room to take the battery out (pod filters).

When I had the stock air box I would do the same thing but work the air box up and out to have access to the battery.

I never took the carbs off until they needed cleaning or jetting
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jethro,

To remove the battery on my 82 I leave the tank on, remove the 4 bolts from the sides of the bracket that holds the tank down near the seat and lift the tank up and prop it up with an empty 2 liter soda bottle or something else nearby. I then have plenty of room to take the battery out (pod filters).
                          Oh thank god. I was hoping that would be the case and was avoiding the battery removal because I didn't want to find out otherwise. Luckly I have pod filters also. Well, I guess lucky, I have a little low end stutter I can't seem to shake. Probably electrical though.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:54 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my '83 GS1100 the battery practically jumps out by itself.
                          Well la-de-da. Seriously, you must have a smaller battery than me. Mine seems to be super tall, and I have huge space in there too, thanks to my (-gulp-for Earl) PODS!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Try speaking a little more slowly and perhaps consider some speech therapy.
                            Pod gremlins are out and about too. LOL

[quote="Jethro"]
                            Luckly I have pod filters also. Well, I guess lucky, I have a little low end stutter I can't seem to shake. Probably electrical though.

Comment

HEY DINK! When would you like to get together and swat some wallabies? We both have plenty of time on our hands since we don't waste it wrestling with airboxes. If we can't find any wallabies we could spend the time chatting about how strong our bikes run with all that extra air flow ......

Let me know when you get your next Vacation, we will hook up and go Wallaby bashing
                              Dink

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA!

Joe
                                And if I recall correctly it also likes to spit off battery cables. *grins* Tee hee hee. Unruly batteries.
                                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                                X