starter question 77 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter question 77 gs750

So im in the middle of a winter cafe project, and while searching the forum for something completley unrelated, I happen across some prices for new starters. And I think "boy...glad I dont need starter!!" or do I? I just finished removeing it to give it a test and low and behold, no brushes or brush holders of any sort. just a naked hole. Ive looked at the fuzzy diagrams on the bandit , and pawed thru my clymer manual, but im still not quiet sure what I need. is there such a thing as a "brush holder assemblie" or some such? Also while the starter looks clean, anyway I can test a starter before I buy brushes and put$ into a possibly dead unit?Im reasonably familiar with car starters but im a little stuck on this.
    77 gs750
    -Thanks for the help

you can continuity check the armature windings to make sure there's no opens or shorts and inspect the magnets, lube the bearings, but without brushes.......you can't test further, there is a complete brush plate ass'y available...

Comment

thanks daveo

I looked and best i can tell there arent any crackes to be seen, so i guess ill go for the brush plate. but that leads me to another question, I dont see a plate listed for a 77 750 on the cycle warable site. do you know which if any years are a bolt up. I havent seen the original plate as it was missing before i got to it, so I cant even guess how many brushes it has. 4? 2? Its a nippondenso if that helps att all. thanks again

Comment

since it's not listed, if I had to choose, it would be the 2 brush Nippon Denso, brush plate set CWND-L....

Comment

I am not 100% positive, but I believe 77 through 79 750's were 2 brush and 80 onwards were four brush.

Earl

Originally posted by daveo
          since it's not listed, if I had to choose, it would be the 2 brush Nippon Denso, brush plate set CWND-L....
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm pretty sure yours is 2 brush. My '79 1000 is. A Suzuki dealer could tell you what the part # is. That could help you search elsewhere too if you don't like his price. I have the Suzuki part # for the brushes, but not the entire assy'.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanx for the help guys

Comment

when you reassemble it make sure to check the direction of rotation before installing, it CAN be assembled backwards and will spin the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                X