Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear sprocket nuts loosening off

Hi

Few months ago I replaced the sprockets on my GS750L.
    530 chain conversion. Lowered the gearing for more accelleration.
    14 front 43 rear. Ideal for my hilly bit of Scotland.

The nuts bolts, locking tabs on the rear sprocket were in reasonably good condition. So I re-used them. Few weeks ago I noticed the locking tabs had broken up and the nuts were lose. Put it down to experience slapped my wrists and re-fitted the bolts with star locking washers. Tightened real good.

About a week later I noticed 3 of the nuts had vanished and the other 3 were lose again. Today I fitted the nuts and bolts again with spring washers and thread lock. (temp for a few days until the bike shop orders me new nuts, bolts and washers from a GSXr) Not getting me of the bike for the want of a few nuts and bolts.

Other than dodgy nuts and bolts are there any other causes of this problem. Have to drop the wheel again for the new nuts and bolts. So my time to find out is now.

Loui

Star washers & lock washers DO NOT work. USE the OEM locking tabs & maybe a dab of locktite

Comment

Sounds like you have a squirrel that likes nuts

Get some new locking tabs and bend them on two places on each nut. If those come loose again then something is going on inside the hub.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I agree with SqDancerLynn1, lockwashers aren't worth the steel they're made of. The only way they work, if they ever do, is when the bolt or nut comes loose. Think about it, you've got a sharp edge for sure but it's not gonna dig into anything until the nut/bolt backs off a bit and by then it's too late.
        In my books you can't beat the tabs and locktite, just make sure to use the correct grade. Blue if you want to be able to remove it normally and red if you want to have to use heat ....Mike

Comment

The stock lock plates are the only way to go. Most likely the problem.
          I would still keep an eye on the nuts. Torque them correctly too.
          How did you re-align the sprockets for the 530 conversion? If the sprockets/chain are not straight, I can see the nuts still loosening up.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks guys

Have ordered the correct bits, just lookin to see if there was anythink else I should be checking. Had the chain, sprocket alignment checked when I did the conversion.

This is my first big bike after riding around on a Vespa T5. Riding on the fence between both camps now. Scooter for town, GS for the highway.

loui

Comment

The only safe way is to use the stock style "french lock" locking tabs.
              However, replacing them with new tabs and nuts is not going to do anything for your problem. Something is very wrong. The only way those tabs can come unbent and the nuts loosen and fall off is if there is a strong vibration AND a heavy sideload on the sprocket. There is not supposed to be any side load on the sprocket. Either your countershaft sprocket is not in line with your rear sprocket, one or both of your sprockets is bent, your rear rim is bent, or your rear wheel is far out of balance. Could be some of all.
              I would not take a mechanics word that the sprockets are in line. too frequently, they can be too lazy to take things apart and find out, so they lok down the chain, say, "yep, close enough" and tell you its good. I would take a string and check alignment myself.

I am guessing you did not have this problem before you changed to the 530 sprockets. I think you will find they are NOT lined up.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                The only safe way is to use the stock style "french lock" locking tabs.
                However, replacing them with new tabs and nuts is not going to do anything for your problem. Something is very wrong. The only way those tabs can come unbent and the nuts loosen and fall off is if there is a strong vibration AND a heavy sideload on the sprocket. There is not supposed to be any side load on the sprocket. Either your countershaft sprocket is not in line with your rear sprocket, one or both of your sprockets is bent, your rear rim is bent, or your rear wheel is far out of balance. Could be some of all.
                I would not take a mechanics word that the sprockets are in line. too frequently, they can be too lazy to take things apart and find out, so they lok down the chain, say, "yep, close enough" and tell you its good. I would take a string and check alignment myself.

I am guessing you did not have this problem before you changed to the 530 sprockets. I think you will find they are NOT lined up.

Earl
                That's what I was trying to say too Earl. But I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he didn't torque the nuts enough PLUS did a poor job of folding the tabs against the nuts TWICE. I figured if he installed the new lockplates as I just described, watched the nuts for movement and they did move again, then it's a fact that his sprockets aren't aligned.
                I asked him what was done to align the sprockets and he just said "they were done".
                I've noticed lately that members here don't seem to align their sprockets in the same way when doing the conversion. Some say they use 2 spacers, some say just 1, and others seem to use different thicknesses even though it was the same bike they were talking about in the topic. It just seems members are doing things a bit differently, so you know some of them aren't doing it right.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Since you changed sprockets make sure the rear one is flush with the hub, if not then check the center hole. It may be to small causing the sprocket to tilt from side to side.

I'd also check the bearing that supports the sprocket assy. If it's shot then it can allow the assy to move/tilt.

If you can post a pic of the defect that will help.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I've come to the conclusion there are a lot of things I dont understand the reasoning behind. :-) Being a simple minded sort mechanically speaking, I approach it as either it is right, or it is wrong. What could be inbetween? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    I've noticed lately that members here don't seem to align their sprockets in the same way when doing the conversion. Some say they use 2 spacers, some say just 1, and others seem to use different thicknesses even though it was the same bike they were talking about in the topic. It just seems members are doing things a bit differently, so you know some of them aren't doing it right.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks again lots of good stuff here.

Been out and looked at the bike, the rear sprocket is sitting correctly against the hub. What I did find was the rear wheel was slightly out of alignment and the sprocket not sitting properly with the chain. I had previously used the marks on the swinging arm for alignment. Read here thats not a good idea.

So when the new lock tabs and nuts come. I'll start at the begining and re-check the alignment of the sprockets. Get the wheel in line and should be ok.

Loui

Comment

OK. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I would say you found your gremlin. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by loui
                          What I did find was the rear wheel was slightly out of alignment and the sprocket not sitting properly with the chain. I had previously used the marks on the swinging arm for alignment. Read here thats not a good idea.

So when the new lock tabs and nuts come. I'll start at the begining and re-check the alignment of the sprockets. Get the wheel in line and should be ok.

Loui

Comment

Working...
                          X