• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POWER LOSS - X FILES STUFF ( WEIRD )

HI ALL,
    The bike.. 1980 GS850G

This is so weird

My bike runs real nice at the moment UNTIL I catch a sidewind !!!

Fairdinkum, I can't explain it but I KNOW someone out there will have an answer for me.

I can be doing 100 - 120 Kph ( 60 - 70 Mph ) in a head or tail wind, take the bend, thus the wind is from the side ( a strong wind ) and the power just washes right out, to the point where I dam near stop !

It seems more prevelant when the wind is from my left.

As you can imagine, I am at wits end.... nothing comes to mind.

PLEASE can someone think of a solution ??

Signed.... DESPERATE :?

stay upright

Make sure that you don't have a loose ignition wire. I know a dragracer that would have his bike cut out at half track, turns out that it was a loose ignition wire that caused intermitant connection when he got going fast enough. And if I remember correctly, the ignition wires are on the keft side of your frame explaining why it is worse when the wind is from your left.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

As you can imagine, I am at wits end.... nothing comes to mind.
      Sounds like the cross wind is affecting the intake air somehow. I had pods on my 86 GSXR750 and it was sensitive to cross winds. Do you have the stock air box or pods? Perhaps something is loose in the intake system, like a connection from the air box to the carbs? If the wind causes a change in the air box pressure or a change in intake vacuum it will cause symptoms such as you mentioned.

Mark

Comment

could it have to do with fuel flow more than air flow? if you're turning into the wind, you will have it leaned over, right?

does it bog when you're running a straight and the wind gusts across you??

it could also be something in your wiring on the handlebars? shorts when you turn one way or the other?

Comment

I got this!!!

You probably have pods or at the least have a foam filter in the original hole right? You need to take the fuel bowl vent lines off your carbs and throm them away! I had the exact same problem until I got rid of the fuel vent lines.

When wind enters the frame from the side it blows across the vent lines at the right angle to create a resonance in the line and fuel bowl (kind of like blowing across the mouth of a bottle). This lowers your available fuel and leans the mixture! Removing these line means the the fuel vents are sheltered by the carb bodies on both sides AND you've shortened the tubes which pushes the resonance up so high that it would take tornado force winds to excite it.

Try removing these lines and see if that solves your problems. If not you can always put them back and say that I'm full of 'roo droppings.

Cheers mate.

Tim

Comment

This has happened on my 900RR which has a modified air box, I modified the airbox by taking out 2 air dams that slow the air going into the carbs from the intake snorkels. I was told the dams are there to smooth out any excess turbulence which is exactly what happens when a big crosswind hits. I've always thought that the engine is starving for air when this happens as it is bieng blown past any intakes with a stronger force than the engine is sucking in air. I guess there is a downside to almost any mod :?

Comment

I would say it's poor float bowl venting too. I made a couple of topics about floatbowl venting in the past to try to bring attention to this.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

hi all,
                Well I was right !!... I knew someone would have an answer... you guys are so good. It is night again so I will chech everything ( btw, I have the original air box ) and remove the overflow hoses... then wait for some side wind
                I'll post the results ASAP

Thanks again

OH..... do you have roo droppings over there ? :?

stay uptight

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                  I got this!!!

You need to take the fuel bowl vent lines off your carbs and throm them away! I had the exact same problem until I got rid of the fuel vent lines.

Try removing these lines and see if that solves your problems. If not you can always put them back and say that I'm full of 'roo droppings.

Cheers mate.

Tim

You got it in !

8) Exactly what you said. I checked all other possabilities as posted and all was well... I then rode about 100 Klms with the vent lines still attached then, turned around and took them off. What a difference.
                  Thanks to all contributors.. but Tim wins the cupi-doll.

Stay upright

Comment

Thank you, Thank you very much! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I guess I can cancel my order of imported roo droppings!

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                      Thank you, Thank you very much! =D> =D> =D> =D>

I guess I can cancel my order of imported roo droppings!
                      Wait a minute...... .Maybe you should be looking into the market for those exotic droppings, Tim.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X