Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To swap or not to swap 1989 GSXR1100 front end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To swap or not to swap 1989 GSXR1100 front end.

Hi all,

I just bought a complete front end from a 1989 GSXR1100 and I was hoping to put it on my 1983 GS750 S Katana. The GS750 original fork length is 31", but the GSXR forks are 28.5"/ 43mm diameter. I haven't done this thing before and plan to update the bike during the snow season. What kind of other mods should I make? Is it do-able? I'd like to update the front suspension, run 17" radial tires without losing too much of the Katana's original looks using a non-USD suspension.

Your recommendations, experience and comments appreciated.
    Mark from Rochester, NY

You'll lose some clearance but as far as bottoming out it should be almost a wash since you'll have less fork travel and you can run much firmer peloads with a nice compliant radial. Consider a 4.5" GSXR wheel on the rear.

Comment

Will a 4.5" rim fit in the swing arm. If so, how? It's the same swing arm as a GS1100 and I have a pair of new ADVANTAGE/SHOWA piggyback shocks arriving any day now.

Comment

See how much width you have where your sidewalls are now. I can get you the measuewment with a 160 mounted. If you can't fit a 160 try a 4" wheel with a 150.

Comment

Working...
        X