Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Upgraded 83 GS1100 rear shocks - what will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: Upgraded 83 GS1100 rear shocks - what will work?

I want to upgrade the rear suspension on my 83 GS1100E. Some newer bikes come with nice rear shocks that I would like to get my hands on. The bandit 1200 or ZRX 1100 to name two. Does anyone have any suggestions on what will work? Has anyone found a good combination? Thanks.

Let us know if you find one that works. I'm going to try and shoehorn a Fox twin clicker made for a late '80's/early '90's Gsxr 750 on my '83 750es. I'll be sure to report how things go.

Comment

Pardon me, I missed that yours is a 1100. I'm not sure what differences might exist between the 1100 and 750 in that regard.

Comment

Works Shocks are said to be of supreme quality. I have only seen Marzocchi shocks that have piggyback resivoirs. I have heard Ikons are also very desireable.

Personally, a lot of really experienced and talented riders whom I trust have given Progressive shocks thier highest praise. Keith has them, and even though he is a royal PITA, he rides like a sumb!tch. :P Bwringer has em, and he rides like a sumb!tch. I see no need to pay 6-800 on new shocks when the Progressives are less than $300 with the springs.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

rear shocks

I think the biggest problem with using shocks from different bikes is the clevis attachment on the bottom of the shocks for the 1100.

I'm going to do a search on Ebay right now for some ZRX shocks. those things are just plain sexy.

Item number: 4597284231 this pair is going for $152 right now.

Item number: 4596829816 these have 11 min. left for $200

The first pair gives some good info about the shocks: Adjustable for pre-load, rebound and compression. These shocks are approximately 14.25 inches in mounted length. upper bolt hole diameter is 14.5mm and lower bolt hole diameter is 10.5mm

I think the stockers are 11 or 12 inches long. not sure though.

I wonder how hard it is to put a clevis attachment on the bottom of the shock. I should have considered this before I did my swingarm conversion. I could have just welded the right attachment for non-clevis shocks on the swingarm in the first place.

-KM

Comment

I have heard the zx shocks are quite poor. The stock shocks are 13 for a gs so the zx's are too long but will raise the back nicely.

I just bought a set of custom works shocks but don't have a performance report yet but their service was quite extensive.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

With all due respect, I beg to differ. The KYBs from the ZRX would be a fantastic upgrade for the GS or the Katana. They provide a much more controled ride than with even Marzocchis.... They are stiffer, but better behaved.

Sean had them on this G right here for a short time and rode the bike in the Angeles Crest mountains. The ride was much improved but the length was too long for a GS1100G. The shaft would bind just a slight bit so he removed them. He stated that if he had a chain drive, they would still be on there. He is currently running Progressives and is happy with them but preferred the KYBs. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

OOC, the KYBs from a ZRX 1100 are 14.25", those from the ZRX 1200 are 14.5". So, be sure to ask in order to get what you need.

I have a set of these for the Mighty Buffalo, and am pretty stoked about it. They are fully adjustable and will be a great upgrade for the GT.

Comment

well, anything today is an improvement over the old shoxks but like I am just passing on what I was told from some road racers. Poor choice for the money.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Shocks

I have works shocks on my 1100E. I had them made a little longer to improve cornering. If I remember right they were $400. The ones with piggybacks are more expensive though.

Comment

clevis to eye

does anyone know a good method of converting a eye hole shock mount to a clevis type like the 1100 has?
                    besides cutting the mounts off the swingarm and welding on some "eye" mounts?

furthermore, is there an easy way to shorten a shock?

do you think a suspension shop would do it....sorry wrong question.

do you think a suspension shop would charge an arm and a leg to do it?

-K

Comment

I think the easy way would be to make a lowering block to adapt it, would make it shorter by moving the mounting point back. They do look like they would fit my 850

Comment

Shocks on my Gs100st are from a Kawasaki Zephyr (KYB similar to zrx).
                        Had em on for about 6 years, brilliant handling, adjustable rebound and damping.
                        I just put a bolt through the eye on the shock and the swingarm, and i think I had to put a bush in the top mount, raises the rear about 15mm (1/2 in).

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          Works Shocks are said to be of supreme quality. I have only seen Marzocchi shocks that have piggyback resivoirs. I have heard Ikons are also very desireable.

Personally, a lot of really experienced and talented riders whom I trust have given Progressive shocks thier highest praise. Keith has them, and even though he is a royal PITA, he rides like a sumb!tch. :P Bwringer has em, and he rides like a sumb!tch. I see no need to pay 6-800 on new shocks when the Progressives are less than $300 with the springs.
                          Good comment. I guarantee you an A level rider on a bone stock bike will spank the snot out of a B level rider on a highly pimped out bike of equall size. Talk to any seasoned racer, its "80% rider, and 20% bike". I am going to ride my GS bone stock for a while to see how I like it. If you have the attitude you are going to be dragging your knee on all the highway off ramps simply from adding premium shocks and springs you are going to crash. You can only push a 600 lb. GS1100 so hard on the street. Spending big dollars Modding the suspension to make a GS go faster is a waste of money. Spending modest money because you are truly unhappy with dampening is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                            Spending modest money because you are truly unhappy with dampening is fine.
                            I plan on putting progressive shocks on mine just because they are 22 year old shocks beating on my 41 year old butt 8O 8O 8O
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                            X