No announcement yet.

GS550E Brake Swap tutorial with Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rule of thumb is 1lb. unsprung weight equals 6lb. sprung weight. Every pound makes a big difference.
    8track, are you going to use dual disc fork lowers & fabricate adapters?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      For you, I was told that the aluminum 1100 swingarms (from I forget which years though?) are a direct bolt on for the 1000.
      Correct, that's why I'm using it.

Also, to get duels up front all you need is the skunk forks ar even just the lowers. It gives you a chance to pull the forks apart and replaces seals and springs and what not anyway then. After that then you can just use the skunk calipers unless your looking for even more.
      I have the lowers off my spare 78' 1000E, Mark.
      I've already got one leg polished, hope to get the other one done this week. Seals and boots are on the way from Bike bandit.
      Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I'm using calipers off of a early model Kawasaki Ninja, not the stock calipers. I'm also using a pair of the larger 11" discs off of a single rotor set up. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
        8track, are you going to use dual disc fork lowers & fabricate adapters?
        Yes. They actually bolt to the top mount. I have to make an adapter for the lower mount.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
          Correct, that's why I'm using it.

I have the lowers off my spare 78' 1000E, Mark.
          I've already got one leg polished, hope to get the other one done this week. Seals and boots are on the way from Bike bandit.
          Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I'm using calipers off of a early model Kawasaki Ninja, not the stock calipers. I'm also using a pair of the larger 11" discs off of a single rotor set up. I'll post pictures as soon as it's done.
          Oh I missed that, see it now. Sounds like a great upgrade! Brakes are goooood

Comment

Sounds like a great upgrade!
            It should be.
            Also, since it uses the factory wheel and rotors, it'll look stock.
            Even though many things are being upgraded on the bike, I think that it's important to attempt to maintain the classic look that it was born with.

Who knows, I may even win "Most improved Rat Bike" at the BC rally next year. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
              It should be.
              Also, since it uses the factory wheel and rotors, it'll look stock.
              Even though many things are being upgraded on the bike, I think that it's important to attempt to maintain the classic look that it was born with.

Who knows, I may even win "Most improved Rat Bike" at the BC rally next year. :-P
              LOL! Finish it with a nice polish and you might win BOM! That was not a joke.

Comment

LOL! Finish it with a nice polish and you might win BOM! That was not a joke.
                I get it...

Comment

Awesome upgrade Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                    Awesome upgrade Jeff!
                    Thanks.
                    The 550 brakes work sowell that it makes riding the 1000 seem even worse than it really is.

Comment

The difference is incredable. But remember, with great power and a narrow tire, comes great responcability. :-)

Awesome brakes. In fact, I just bought a GS550M fork so I can do it again.
                      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                        The difference is incredable. But remember, with great power and a narrow tire, comes great responcability. :-)
                        I'll try to remember that.

Comment

I should add... on your GS550 do you have new springs in it? if not, cut replace that top (soft) spring with a peice of pvc 1/2" longer than it ;-) And try that on for size. That made a huge difference in handling, and braking.
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                            I should add... on your GS550 do you have new springs in it?
                            It has progressive front springs w/ 20 wt fork oil and a set of upside down Fox shocks.

Comment

Working...
                            X