New Brake Lines!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Brake Lines!!!

So I placed an order last night for my new stainless lines. Should be the last thing to buy for my dual-disc conversion on my 650L. I got them from summit racing. Bought Earl's Speed-flex lines. They have teflon tubing, and coated stainless wrap, and are rated to 2500 PSI. Non-DOT approved...but they're meant for racing, so I'm not real concerned with it. 3 Pre-assembled lines and 6 banjo fitings for 90 bucks, inc shipping. I can't wait for them to come in...

Originally posted by Mike_H
    So I placed an order last night for my new stainless lines. Should be the last thing to buy for my dual-disc conversion on my 650L. I got them from summit racing. Bought Earl's Speed-flex lines. They have teflon tubing, and coated stainless wrap, and are rated to 2500 PSI. Non-DOT approved...but they're meant for racing, so I'm not real concerned with it. 3 Pre-assembled lines and 6 banjo fitings for 90 bucks, inc shipping. I can't wait for them to come in...
    Sweet. Braided brake lines are one of those things that you really want, but have a hard time finally getting around to buying. It's like, "Ahh, those can wait until after I get new coils and ignition. But when you finally get them they are awesome.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

test!

quick, afore they arrive, do a good bleed so you can compare - is it the new lines or that one does a bleed when replacing them. this would be good to know.

Comment

It's the lines....

Just put on the dual brakes, bled it very well. The front wheel braked with way less finger pressure, but the lever would touch the grip before the wheel locked up. The lines weren't visibly expanding but they would move around a bit under a good hard squeeze.
        Installed the steel lines, lever now stops over an inch from the bar, tire is howling at that point.
        I can lock the front wheel with two fingers if I pull really hard.
        Can slow down fairly sharply with one finger and not much effort.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik
          quick, afore they arrive, do a good bleed so you can compare - is it the new lines or that one does a bleed when replacing them. this would be good to know.
          I spent a whole week of nights after work trying to bleed my existing brake lines to improve braking performance, but nothing made a huge difference until I got the steel braided lines.
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

While we're on the brakes, whats a good place (reasonable) to get speed-bleeders? Have'nt come across a suitable item (7mm X 1 I think?) for the GS on ebay in a while.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

tanks

thanks for the comparison - my bike has similar squishy brakes, and based on your info, the braided lines now sound like a really worthwhile investment.

Comment

its not only the stainless lines, but how old are some of our existing lines....I dare say quite a few years. Braided is definately the way to go and is definately a part of my upgrad to dual.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                  While we're on the brakes, whats a good place (reasonable) to get speed-bleeders? Have'nt come across a suitable item (7mm X 1 I think?) for the GS on ebay in a while.

Tony.
                  I bought those speedbleeders at AutoZone I think. $20 per caliper and I was not impressed. Maybe I just didn't give them a chance, but they did not make bleeding any easier- in fact they were a downright PITA.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Summit Racing?

Originally posted by Mike_H
                    Can you provide details for Summit? I have been pricing the parts from Aeroquip, and they want a whole lot more than this...
                    Thanks.

Ian

Comment

Sure. Tonight when I get home I will give you a list of Part numbers I ordered. I do have to make one correction though. I thought the lines would be coated. They are not. Not a big deal to me, as I will probably get a roll of shrink tube to go over them. Anyway, If you want to browse yourself, go to www.summitracing.com. Type "earls" in the search box, and browse until your silly.

Comment

Ok, as promised...
                        1 ea EAR-63010116ERL $12.88
                        AN-3 hose 16 in long (this is the Upper part of the Y on a dual disc set-up. The stock line is about 18.5 inches long, but I 2 inch rise bars on my bike.

2 Ea EAR-63010120ERL $12.88
                        AN-3 Hose 20 inches long. (these run from the manifold that bolts under the triple tree to the brake capliers)

6 Ea EAR-997631ERL $6.99
                        AN-3 to 10mm Banjos. These connect everything together.

The whole shmear should bolt together, and make a nice leakfree system, without screwing around trying to gt the standard AN fittings to fit. I've done them before...hate it. Oh by the way...Did I mention that it was cheaper this way too?
                        This should go without saying, but You will need to measure your own bike and existing lines. I'm putting these on an 82 650GL, with a front end from a GS650G

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X