Aluminum swing arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum swing arm?

I have a 79 GS1000 and just bought some ZRX shocksto put on it. The ZRX shocks have the eylet mount on both ends where the stock shocks have the eylet at the top only.
    I would also like to go to an alum swing arm. Is there an alum swing arm that has the right shock brackets for a double eyelet type shock that will bolt right on? Early 80's GS1100/1150?
    I tried searching Katman's post but could not find my answer.

People have used Bandit or other modern mono setups by welding mounts on the swingarm to accept the twin shocks

Your other choice is to mod the frame to accept a complete mono setup.

Good Luck, Ed
    1983 GS750ED
    2005 GSF1200SZ
    1992 900SS

Comment

I think you are in for a bit of welding. You might also want to check the length of the shocks as I had thought the kawi ones were a little shorter - I may be wrong though. They sure look the bees knees.

Good luck and post a couple of pics when you get going.

S

Comment

The ZRX shocks are either 14.25" or 14.5" long depending on the year model they came off of. They are quite a bit longer than the GS shocks.

I have the shorter ones off of the ZRX1100. I simply added shock mounts to the swingarm that I wanted to use.

jkevbriggs1, if you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for your KYBs? They do not come cheap on EBay unless you get lucky.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2006, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri
          The ZRX shocks are either 14.25" or 14.5" long depending on the year model they came off of. They are quite a bit longer than the GS shocks.

I simply added shock mounts to the swingarm that I wanted to use.
          Yeah and it came out awesome! How about a recent pic of that GT mate?

Comment

Thank you, my friend!

The photo in my signature is the most recent photo I have. The bike is currently torn apart to try to get it to run better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri
              Thank you, my friend!

The photo in my signature is the most recent photo I have. The bike is currently torn apart to try to get it to run better.
              Yeah but I meant a "larger" version of it

Comment

I paid $250 from someone parting a bike on the ZRXOA website. They are a little longer but I want to raise the back end a little anyway.
                Progressive shocks are what...$350-$400 and they are a little shorter. I definately didn't want that.
                Welding up brackets won't be that big of a deal, but I thought I would go to an alum. swing arm because it looks better and is lighter.

Is the early 80's 1100 swing alum. and will it bolt right on?

I just got my tank and side covers back from the painter. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.

Comment

The GS1100 '80-83 is aluminum and I'm 90% sure that it is a direct bolt in. It's actually wide enough to accept modern 170 series rubber as well. Probably the easiest way to go with the updated swingarm thing.

Comment

I have a GS1100 aluminium swingarm in my '79 1000S. It fouled on the frame bits where the passenger pegs bolt onto so I had to heat them up and spread them about a 1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      Yeah but I meant a "larger" version of it

Here's one...

Comment

Originally posted by jkevbriggs1
                        I paid $250 from someone parting a bike on the ZRXOA website. They are a little longer but I want to raise the back end a little anyway.
                        Progressive shocks are what...$350-$400 and they are a little shorter. I definately didn't want that.
                        Welding up brackets won't be that big of a deal, but I thought I would go to an alum. swing arm because it looks better and is lighter.

Is the early 80's 1100 swing alum. and will it bolt right on?

I just got my tank and side covers back from the painter. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.
                        You got a pretty good deal for those shocks. I have seen them go for nearly twice that amount on Ebay.

Here's my $.02, don't limit yourself with your swingarm selection. If you are going to plan on doing modifications to it, you may as well see what's out there. Personally I used a 2004 GSXR swinger. It is light, easy to find all the necessary parts, wheel, spacers, brake hanger, etc. I also tried a TLR swingarm. It would have worked but when I mocked it up, I didn't like the look.

Comment

well, the GS1100 alum swingarm with dual shocks has an eyelet mount, so you need an eye-to-shackle shock. You could either have a shock mounted welded on the swingarm, or try to swap one of the eyelets for a shackle

Comment

Any pics of the final setup you went with? I'm about to do the same thing. I've got a 600GSXR arm being shipped to me, and am wondering if 1) it's the same size as a GSXR1000, and 2) if my 94 wheels will go in without problem?

Comment

*grins* I've got ZRX1200 shocks on my GS550E. They're a WHOLE lot longer.

Orgi, are all suzuki swingarms the same width between the frame?
                              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                              X