1983 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750

anyone like to share some performance mods for me on this bike...any info would be greatly helped...i am a honda guy that has found a love for the looks and from what ive read the performance on these older bikes...thanks

Originally posted by texas_mad_man
    anyone like to share some performance mods for me on this bike...any info would be greatly helped...i am a honda guy that has found a love for the looks and from what ive read the performance on these older bikes...thanks
    If it's an E model GS700 cams, 700 pistons, and a set of RS flatslides with a performance exhaust will wake that puppy up. 700 pistons will bump up compression to close to 10.5:1. The 700 cams were one of the hottest used in the GS line.

Comment

gs help

thank you for the info youve shared...besides searching around where is the best place to locate items for this bike...yes it is a e...from what ive seen it appears to be an es...ive found lots of 1000/1100 parts but hardly any 750...again thanks for any info

Comment

It is a great bike, I have had my '83 GS750ED since buying new in 1984. It has seen a wide range of mods over the years. In stock trim it was very restricted and lean - and slightly slower than my friends then new 1985 VF700 Interceptor. Once moded with carbs, cams and a pipe it would run away from his Honda at all speeds.

Parts/aftermarket items can now be hard to find for a 20 year old bike with a very limited production run. In the US, 1983 was the only year for this model GS750.

1983 was the first year for the new design, in 1984 Suzuki did not bring a 750cc machine into the US because of the Harley tariff. The GS700 was introduced for 1985 at 699cc to slip under the tariff.

1986 brought the GSXR into the US and these bikes were forgotten about by the mainstream.

Most '83 GS750 parts will interchange with the 1985 GS700- some internal motor parts are different, slightly different bodywork, and different gearing.

Like any GS bike it will benefit from changes in intake,compression,exhaust. Performance mods on this bike will really open up the upper midrange and top end.

Early (1986-87) GSXR CV flatslides were 31mm and 34mm, they are a definite improvement over the stock GS carbs and they will bolt right up and use the stock throttle cable. The 34's off the 1100 will work best - aftermarket Mikuni 34 RS smoothbores if you have the cash.

GS1100 performance cams will work, aftermarket cams in the .330 lift range work well, are full drop-in, but aftermarket springs recommended. GS1100 manual cam chain tensioner will also work.

Stock compression is at 9.6-1, the 699cc motor's pistons are the same 67mm bore as the 747cc motor but are domed to make up for the compression loss by destroking to 699cc. They will give around 10.25-1 in the 747cc motor. 10.5-1 is a good number for the street unless you have access to some good high octane fuel. Aftermarket Wiseco 816cc kit (10.25-1) is the best route if your gonna do a piston swap.

Dyna or Accell coils and wires - open the plug gap to .035

Exhaust systems are getting hard to find but any good old 4-1 will work. MAC pipes are on the bottom of the list with a good used V+H, Yosh, or Kerker up top.

The above mods will yield a good street bike with about 85-90 bhp and around 480lbs with fuel. With a big bore kit, my bike would loft the front wheel in 3rd gear at around 7500 rpm.

My '83 is in parts now waiting to be rebuilt for the last time. Photo below shows her in her prime with the ES bodywork and today as she sits.

Good Luck, Ed.
        1983 GS750ED
        2005 GSF1200SZ
        1992 900SS

And BTW, once all that is done we will need to talk suspension
        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

very nice bike and thank you for all your info...ive started gathering parts already..what i can find that is...

full dyna ignition (green 3.0 ohm coils w/ 2000 box)
          web cam (grind 190. .370 lift 274 dur)
          lectron carbs (should be here soon)
          ported & polished head
          cold fusion custom nos fogger
          vance & hines sidewinder exaust (jethot coated inside and out)
          ohlins rear shock
          4" extended swing arm
          cbr wheels (180/60 & 120/60 irc tires)
          brembo calipers (front & rear)
          gafer wave rotors

some of these items ive had from/for previous bikes so i decided to give them a good home on this gs. i have a friend that has a fab/machine shop so building what i need isnt a problem just parts locating and finding what works is. this forum has helped me alot so far i think ive read every post. again thanks.

Comment

ok oldschoolgs...i dont like you...hahaha...just kidding...i went to the weisco website..well..$520.00 later i am the owner of a 816cc kit...thanks...anyone on here want to build a motor ? again thanks to everyone whos responded and those that are laughing at me...could be worse i could still be riding on a honda \\/

Comment

Thats gonna be a nice build. The Wiseco pistons should have deep enough valve pockets to stay clear of the valves, but I believe at .370 lift you are gonna need to shorten the guides. The guys at APE will know as the head is similar to the GS1100.

I have run both .330 and .350 lift cams in mine, the .330's were very streetable while the .350's had a nice top end rush. Both were run with Megacycle springs and a manual tensioner.

Keep us posted with photos.

Ride On, Ed
              1983 GS750ED
              2005 GSF1200SZ
              1992 900SS

Comment

i spoke with the cam company and they said i would have to run a shorter valve guide. im going to have some more work on the head done anyway. im going to make sure the engine gets a mockup before assy. ive built many dragcars (own a race shop) so i know the importance of this step. i might decide to build the engine myself with the help of people on here, around my place, and a few books by my side. soon as i get the time ill go snap a few pics...thanks

Comment

Any ideas whether or not you could use kanata 750 cams and GSXR 600 pistons? Would there be any performance gains?

Craig Hicks

Comment

Working...
                  X