carb boring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb boring...

has anyone out there heard anything about carb boring.ive heard of someone (on the track)taking their 26mm mikunis out to 29mm.i was told a lot of off road /perf shops do this type of work.i have a 78 gs 1000 w/ 4into1 pipe and have been running unipods but just ordered a set of k&ns.id like to do some top end perf work this winter.hopefully cams.would a dyna jet kit be of more use to me?also how far can you go performance wise before a welded crank is necessary?
    thanks for lookin.
    long gone

Here's a link on boring CVs. http://hotrodsbikeworks.com/tech/020...v_carburetors/ It's done quite often on all types of bike carbs.

Comment

I have heard of this also but I don't know of anyone who has ever had it done. If we want 44s, we buy 44s.

I would forget the upgrades and just enjoy it the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
        I have heard of this also but I don't know of anyone who has ever had it done. If we want 44s, we buy 44s.

I would forget the upgrades and just enjoy it the way it is.
        My sentiments as well. Too many ifs involved in carb boring. Start from scratch with the jetting.

Comment

thanks for...

the input and advice guys.thats why im on here.
          im more concerned with upgrading the suspension and brakes at the moment.the bike is already altered appearance wise.more of an old road race/madmax look.shortened the frame and tail section up so it ends at the rear axle.gonna drill the rotors.id like to change out the front calipers to four pots.i hear the zrx1100/1200 shocks are quite a good adaption.also putting on an aluminum swingarm.doctor says i have an acute case of "cant leave well enough alone disease"hey im a modifier not a restorer.its in the blood i guess.

Comment

I would reconsider the drilling of the brake rotors. I have heard many stories of rotors cracking because drilling them makes them weaker. My guess is that the material that the older rotors is made of is not able to handle the treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by long gone
              the input and advice guys.thats why im on here.
              im more concerned with upgrading the suspension and brakes at the moment.the bike is already altered appearance wise.more of an old road race/madmax look.shortened the frame and tail section up so it ends at the rear axle.gonna drill the rotors.id like to change out the front calipers to four pots.i hear the zrx1100/1200 shocks are quite a good adaption.also putting on an aluminum swingarm.doctor says i have an acute case of "cant leave well enough alone disease"hey im a modifier not a restorer.its in the blood i guess.
              Post a pic of this thing will ya?

Comment

tryin to...

find my cord for the camera.ill try to get a pic up today.its gettin torn down for full blown visual modification assualt this winter.even cuttin another gas tank to bring the rear of it up to match the lines of the tail section.should be
                a really fun project for the winter.

Comment

We used to do quite a bit of that back before race carbs were available in different sizes. Don't need to do it anymore.

Jay
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                  X