95 gsxr750 front end on a 1982 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 gsxr750 front end on a 1982 gs1100e

whats up guys? I am new to the gs world. I was wondering if it is possible to but a 95 gsxr750 front end on my 82 gs1100e, and if so, is it a good idea?

Thomas,

welcome, sir. There are several guys who have 82/83 1100s here. I happen to be one of them! I am doing a gsxr swap with a complete set up from an 88 gsxr1100. I do believe that any pre USD gsxr forks are straight bolt on swaps, since the steering head bearings are the same size for both those bikes. Some here have USD forks on their GS's as well. If you switch the front, be sure to do the same to the rear...You don't want to run a radial front tire and bias ply in the rear. I am going to use my stock swing arm and and the 88 gixxer rear rim and brakes. Heck, if you want it, I have the 88 swing arm and chain adjustment stuff that goes with it. You can have it for the price of shipping. It is just taking up space in my garage. Needs swing arm bearings though. Just do a search thru the tech and performance archives. You should find tons of great info there, including a thread which contains a pretty extensive list of combinations which are compatible from different bikes.

GOOD LUCK\\/

Mike
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I have an '82 1100E with a '95 GSXR1100 front end. TOTALLY worth the effort. The front end is a direct boltup as the steering head bearngs are the same. You will have to get creative with the instrument pod mount as well as handlebars if you don't want to use the gixxer clipons. The speedometer itself may be an issue as it is geared for your 19" front wheel (I'm assuming you will be using the 17" GSXR rim). There are some guys who swear the gearing in the new speedo drive will compensate for that. I'm not so sure. I swapped my GS pod for a Bandit 400 unit which is meant for a 17"wheel. In order to make the whole thing work you will have to go with a GSXR rear wheel swap as well. It's pretty much a bolt up deal too, you'll just have to relocate the caliper underneath the swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
        I have an '82 1100E with a '95 GSXR1100 front end. TOTALLY worth the effort. The front end is a direct boltup as the steering head bearngs are the same. You will have to get creative with the instrument pod mount as well as handlebars if you don't want to use the gixxer clipons. The speedometer itself may be an issue as it is geared for your 19" front wheel (I'm assuming you will be using the 17" GSXR rim). There are some guys who swear the gearing in the new speedo drive will compensate for that. I'm not so sure. I swapped my GS pod for a Bandit 400 unit which is meant for a 17"wheel. In order to make the whole thing work you will have to go with a GSXR rear wheel swap as well. It's pretty much a bolt up deal too, you'll just have to relocate the caliper underneath the swingarm.
        Do you have any pictures of your bike? I'd love to see what a '82 1100E with a '95 GSXR1100 front end looks like. What difference in handling have you noticed? Thanks for any info.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I've tried to upload pics of my bike in the past but for some reason the pics always seem too big for the website to handle. I'll try again over the weekend. It's really a cool mod that doesn't require a lot of advanced mechanical skill. I'm a big fan of the look of the '82-'83 1100E, but the addition of the GSXR components make the bike look even better. Handling -wise there's no comparison to the old components. The bike is absolutely rock solid and confidence-inspiring to ride. The bike sits lower which no doubt adds to the stability. Unfortunately this has led me to put a nice ding on the underside of an otherwise perfect Vance&Hines header.

Comment

here ya go 93 gsxr usd on an 83 e

Comment

XDUKEX, what did you use for the rear end, and how?

Comment

That looks *awesome*. Not to mention that the handling must be much better, and those wider Pirelli tires now fit. Sweet work. Any problems with bolting on the new swingarm and forks to your frame? Any problems with the frame flexing at speed from the changed geometry of the bike?

Originally posted by xDUKEx View Post
                here ya go 93 gsxr usd on an 83 e
                Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2006, 02:04 AM.

Comment

it was all really just a bolt on job. it was all worth it . the handling is way better. go to perfotmance mods, thread is the tribal gs. you can see step by step how i done it>

Comment

XDUKEX, how big of a tire could you but on the rear?

Comment

180 is the max !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X