More pods questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More pods questions

Hi everyone. I've spent the better part of a very cold and long winter working on my 78 GS1000. I'm getting to the point where I can try to start it. The carbs I have are the normal, stock ones and against the better judgment of many on this forum I will be using pods and 4-1 exhaust. I realise that I will ultimately have to dial in the jets and I am not asking the standard "what size jets should I use" question. What I am wondering is, for the purposes of seeing if the damned thing will even run, and fo benchmarking purposes, can I expect it to even start with the stock jets? I realize it will be very lean and I won't be taking it out to romp on it. I'm just curious if the bike would even start or would it just be way too ldean. I have to clean the carbs anyways, But I want to sort out timing and all that other stuff and get that all dialed in before I mess with the jets. Will the bike run with no airfilters? Common sense tells me yes. Just curious to know if this engine is so different from anything else that I've seen that it will need to be fully wrapped up before I can even hit the starter button.

Won't really hurt anything to try. The jetting may be lean, but I can't imagine it will be so lean that you would hole a piston or something.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That's what I was thinking. We'll see. I was just wondering what anyone else's experience has been with this. Obviously it won't run perfectly but I'm thinking it should run. I guess I'm getting a little nervous as the moment of truth approaches.

Comment

maybe you could keep the choke on while running it.

Comment

Yup, I've started lots of bikes with no filtres at all. Should be fine.

Comment

Yes, it will be lean. If run mostly to set timing and checking things, you'll be on the pilot circuit and it won't be a serious problem. If you start riding it around at higher speeds you can have more serious problems because it will be quite lean and you'll experience some pinging and surging and over-heating of the engine.
            Your VM equipped 1000 actually makes the most power with no filters at all, but noticable only at higher rpm's.
            I can help set you up with the correct jetting once you're ready.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Want to help me with my jetting?! I tried to find a way to pm you but you must have disabled it.
              Thanks,
              Nick

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                Yes, it will be lean. If run mostly to set timing and checking things, you'll be on the pilot circuit and it won't be a serious problem. If you start riding it around at higher speeds you can have more serious problems because it will be quite lean and you'll experience some pinging and surging and over-heating of the engine.
                Your VM equipped 1000 actually makes the most power with no filters at all, but noticable only at higher rpm's.
                I can help set you up with the correct jetting once you're ready.
                Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll chime in with a couple of questions when the time comes. I really just want to get the thing started and be sure that everything else I've done so far is on the money. After that, the carbs come off and I'll start baselining it. At this point, I'm just thinking about wors case scenarios and if it doesen't start I'm trying to think about what I can rule out as an issue. I've started lots of engines without filters too. It's just that the way people talk about pods it's like I can expect my first born kid to be born lame if I don't jet the bike right before I set out.

There's definitely a wealth of information that I already have from this forum. Right now, this is going slow because I'm in the midlle of moving. So, I'm trying to juggle it all. I'll keep you guys (and ladies) posted though.

Comment

You should take a plug reading after you start and run it a bit. See where you really stand in the richness, The mains only come in at higher rpm. I have gotten results on basicly stock engines with just filter and exhaust mods simply by putting washers in the slide to raise the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                    It's just that the way people talk about pods it's like I can expect my first born kid to be born lame if I don't jet the bike right before I set out.

There's definitely a wealth of information that I already have from this forum. Right now, this is going slow because I'm in the midlle of moving. So, I'm trying to juggle it all. I'll keep you guys (and ladies) posted though.
                    OK. Just remember that most of the bad things you hear about re-jetting for pods is related to operator error and/or cheap parts. The CV carbs are more of a challenge and have more jetting components that may need adjusting. The CV's can be difficult at times but your VM carbs are much easier to re-jet.
                    Just be certain the bike is ready for the re-jet.
                    That means good compression, no oil burning, valve clearances set between .03 and .08mm, entire electrical connections inspected/clean, good spark/timing, possibly a better regulator/rectifier like the Electrex brand, clean carbs with (I suggest) Robert Barrs VM inner o-ring kit, new manifold o-rings and inspect the manifolds, coat the manifold o-rings with hi-temp bearing grease and replace the manifold bolts with Allens so you can torque them to 6 ft/lb, good fuel flow and clean venting, clean filters correctly oiled (I suggest the K&N ovals p/n RC 2454), fresh exhaust gaskets.
                    Last but not least, I recommend the Dynojet stage 3 jet kit. It is possible to re-jet using separate jets and stock jet needles but my experience is you'll be much happier with the kit and many times the stock needles just give poor results, period.
                    Do all this prep correctly and we'll have the bike jetted correctly in no time.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith

I've already done everything that you've suggested except the DJ kit. I'll make sure thqt I do that too.

Comment

Working...
                      X