Dyna Ignition Upgrade Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Ignition Upgrade Worth It?

I plan on installing Dyna coils and plug wires on my 1100E and my Katana as I am sure that they are far superior to the 25 year old OEM stuff running on the bikes now. However, is the Dyna ignition worth it or necessary given that the bike already has electronic ignition? Would Dyna's be superior in that department as well? I mean it's pretty basic engineering and I can't see where the Dyna would improve upon the original.

Dyna coils = hotter (bigger) spark, which to me is part of the chain to improved performance. It's like maintaining the biggest and least obstucted pipe you can run through the basics of the bike; i.e. bigger displacement, improved valves (intake and exhaust), porting for improved air flow, better cams for longer flow duration, better air intake volume (Pods), and better spark. It all translates to making sure that there are no chokepoints in the pipeline. Is the Dyna ignition more precise than stock or does it perform better in other ways?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2007, 02:05 AM.

I don't think you will see any performance gains with the Dyna S.... they should both be doing the same job. If your stock set-up fails, replace it with the Dyna S (much cheaper than stock parts). But definately go with the coils. Stock Suzuki coils are weak.
    Last edited by renobruce; 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
      I plan on installing Dyna coils and plug wires on my 1100E and my Katana as I am sure that they are far superior to the 25 year old OEM stuff running on the bikes now. However, is the Dyna ignition worth it or necessary given that the bike already has electronic ignition? Would Dyna's be superior in that department as well? I mean it's pretty basic engineering and I can't see where the Dyna would improve upon the original.

Dyna coils = hotter (bigger) spark, which to me is part of the chain to improved performance. It's like maintaining the biggest and least obstucted pipe you can run through the basics of the bike; i.e. bigger displacement, improved valves (intake and exhaust), porting for improved air flow, better air intake volume (Pods), and better spark. It all translates to making sure that there are no chokepoints in the pipeline. Is the Dyna ignition more precise than stock or does it perform better in other ways?

I have found on my 4 GS's the addition of Dyna coils and wires the first upgrade I go for regardless of coil age, the reliability factor,(you can put multi colored spark plug wire, BONUS!!) the ability to change wires, easier starting ect make this change one of the best things you can do for your GS. As for the Dyna ignition, Unless your gonna go for a full hog horse power monster with a top end Dyna ignition, I would stick with the stock Suzuki ignition as its reliable accurate, and the Dyna's not really gonna change much over stock. I have only put Dyna ignition on 1 of my bikes,and thats because it had points. I have also found that Dyna ignition a little more sensitive to battery state of charge over stock electronic Suzuki ignitions.

Comment

The following is my own guess and understanding.

The dyna S or III would let the coils to charge up the energy for a full cycle time independently. The stock Suzuki ignition box only allow the coils charge up one by one for half cycle time.

The advantage of stock Suzuki one is to prevent both coils fire at the same time for any reason, so that it will lees chance of making wrong fire timing.
        The advantage of Dyna S or III would let the coils to have more energy when engine speeed at high rpm.
        So it is your choice which one to suit for your purpose.

Comment

Working...
        X