What size pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size pilots?

Playing with some '86-'88 1100 (34's) gsxr carbs on my '83 750 es. New o-rings on float seats, floats raised to 16mm. seems to run okay so far, but if she idles for any length (like a stoplight) it loads up, but will clean out above idle. It has 32.5 pilots in it now, how much smaller should I go?
    Last edited by kingofvenus; 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Following with interest now that I've got a similar motor...

Any progress?

Comment

Have not messed with it any today, had to put a new set of radiator fans in the wife's car. Gonna try raising the floats a little more first.

Comment

Raised the floats to 17mm, and turned the screws in a 1/2 turn. (from 2 1/2) Closer but not there yet. I think this is going to be worth the time and moola...

Comment

Try a set of 27.5 pilots & re-adjust the mixture screws with the bike idling till it idles the fastest & then re-set the idle speed. When you get close on the pilot size you should be 1 to 2 turns out on the mixture screws. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Try a set of 27.5 pilots & re-adjust the mixture screws with the bike idling till it idles the fastest & then re-set the idle speed. When you get close on the pilot size you should be 1 to 2 turns out on the mixture screws. Ray.
            So with my stock carbs I'm at 3.5+ turns for highest idle. Should I bother with floats or is my next move bumping up the pilot jets?

Comment

Pilot jets ONLY!!! Only work on ONE area at a time so you will know what the changes are affecting. Don't add more variables. Ray.

Comment

Two dealers in town (one a suzuki) and neither had any in stock so, I must wait.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                  So with my stock carbs I'm at 3.5+ turns for highest idle. Should I bother with floats or is my next move bumping up the pilot jets?
                  I was adjusting the floats due to the fact that the GSXR carbs sit at more of an angle, they were designed that way due to the steeper intake ports those bikes have. Now they are at less of an angle so, the floats had to be raised.

Comment

Working...
                  X