X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petrol /gas extra tanks ?

i did a search didnt find any thing..
    any one made /or had one made.
    im thinking under the seat tail somwhere..
    id just like an extra few liters..i always have found it soo restricting..
    it starts to **** me off.the city van. is 56 kms from me and i normally go thereonce a week but i am always puting petrol in the damn thing spoils me ride.( glad to see the space bar is working again..)

try this link:arrow:http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fuel-cells.html
    They make some for Kaws and others,maybe able to give you some hints.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

the seat one is soo fugly i cant bear to look at it yeeaaaachhhhh.. a thought occuerd to me do i need to double line(wall) the damn container?

Comment

Well, I didn't say they were pretty-D
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

no no

no no you didnt but , i gretaly apreciate the effort.

Comment

I started a thread about this recently. One solution was go with pods, stick an aux tank where the airbox was, and install a fuel pump to overcome gravity. Keeps the stock look and low center of gravity. Lots of work, though.

What I'd really love is a tank bag with a few extra gallons dumping into a modified gas cap or something. Simpler, but I couldn't find any suitable gas rated containers (size and shape of a tank bag). A gas "bag" which conformed to the inside of the tank bag would be awesome, but I never found any flexible fuel containers either.

Comment

why

i couldnt find that thread ..so u ended up putting one near or inplace of the air box .

i cant do that the bike has to be stock ... at least looking..thats why i was thinking under the tail somwhere....

Comment

No, I ended up saying 'screw it'. Those are just the options I came up with...

I think I'd probably just bungie a 1-2gal jerry can to the back if I needed a little extra range.

Comment

The jerry can is the easiest and cheapest solution. But there's no way that I'd bungee it to the seat. Too easy to douse the rider himself. Get a luggage rack.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

On the concours club site there was a link to a tank made to mount on the luggage rack under the trunk. It held about 6 litres, so that would increase your range by around 100km. Tried to find that link again, but was unable, sorry.

Comment

Greetings,

I had been working on an idea for extra fuel storage in the past.I scrapped my orignal idea which involved alot of sheetmetal work and fabrication. However, I am currently working on a prototype fuel cell that may fit alot of GS applications. Will keep you posted.

Andy
                      1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                      1984 GS1100GK
                      1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                      1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                      1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

just a couple of ideas:

1: in a lot of pro racing applications, the fuel tanks are actually a heavy rubber bladder braced with kavlar. A simular type of fuel bag, while difficult to produce, would be idea for fitting to tanks or seats of different shapes. Also, the deforming bladder means that if the bladder is kept inside a secondard hard container, then an airbag, placed inside the container and next to the bladder, could be used to pressurized the fuel, and pump it out.

2: Flasks. anything rated for food or camping fuel will be more than enough for gasoline. Also, if you are making your own metal tanks, Flasks might be a good place to look for material ideas, as well as production methods.

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
                          Greetings,

I had been working on an idea for extra fuel storage in the past.I scrapped my orignal idea which involved alot of sheetmetal work and fabrication. However, I am currently working on a prototype fuel cell that may fit alot of GS applications. Will keep you posted.

Andy
                          Details! Details! :-D

Comment

In due time in need to tinker a little more... soon and hopefully with some pics.

Andy
                            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                            1984 GS1100GK
                            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

http://www.ldrider.ca/techpages/fuelcell-custom.htm

\\/Found it again. it is a pretty good looking little option. Gives you about 70 more miles or 100km more range

Comment

Working...
                              X