single front brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

single front brake?

anyone convert thier dual front brake to a single? or know of anyone who has? bad idea? looks good

Sure you could, but why?
    Dual brakes are weak enough for me.
    If I wanted even less braking I guess I could remove one of my fingers.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Why would you want to decrease your braking power?

Comment

Originally posted by NelanCustoms View Post
        anyone convert thier dual front brake to a single? or know of anyone who has? bad idea? looks good
        The stock single disk bikes have just barely enough stopping power...and thats if you use plenty of rear brake.

Of course, if you don't mind a little mild fabrication, you could use a dual piston caliper. I'm running two dual piston Kawasaki calipers on my GS1000. Works great. I'm sure one would do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Sure you could, but why?
          Dual brakes are weak enough for me.
          If I wanted even less braking I guess I could remove one of my fingers.
          Umm- ok but I can lock up the front wheel pretty easily with 1 finger. Is that weak?
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
            Umm- ok but I can lock up the front wheel pretty easily with 1 finger. Is that weak?
            No, your finger must be pretty strong.
            Which pads are you running?
            I want some.

Comment

Single Brake

Im using one disc up front now. I went to a one disc setup after running a dual stock EC model setup mainly for looks and reducing unsprung weight... IT SUCKS! And is borderline dangerous IMO. I am changing over to a dual 1990s katana setup. It takes a very strong squeeze for a pitiful stoping distance even with ss lines and 70lbs of stock weight. Everytime I use them I am reminded of those stupid "Test your grip" arcade games in pizza parlors. I would stick with duals.

Comment

Not for the sake of argument, but I just got a book of all the test-reports for '78-81 GS'; both chain & shaft. After reading most all of it, I was suprised to see that the period testers had not much, or no love for the dual-disk set-ups, on not only the Suzi, but the Kawis, too. Several commented that they preferred the wire wheels with single disc for the lower unsprung weight handling, with virtually equal stopping power. Almost all said that wet weather stopping was NOT good. There was mention of pending imporvement in pad materials; according to Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                  Of course, if you don't mind a little mild fabrication, you could use a dual piston caliper. I'm running two dual piston Kawasaki calipers on my GS1000. Works great. I'm sure one would do the job.
                  I'd like to see some close up pics of that... \\/
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No, your finger must be pretty strong.
                    Which pads are you running?
                    I want some.
                    Whatever was on the bike when I bought it a few months ago. The Earl's lines made a huge difference.

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                      I was suprised to see that the period testers had not much, or no love for the dual-disk set-ups, on not only the Suzi, but the Kawis, too. Several commented that they preferred the wire wheels with single disc for the lower unsprung weight handling, with virtually equal stopping power.
                      This was in the day when the best tires in the world had perhaps half the grip of regular cheapo tires today. Rubber and tire technology has advanced so far in the last 30 years that to go back to the days of weak and ineffective braking is ludicrous. I doubt anyone who rides well enough to be able to feel the difference in unsprung weight would even consider this. There are very lightweight brakes and wheels available off newer bikes that would give incredible stopping power.

Even with these, a GS will never stop like a modern bike, why make it worse than it is?

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                        Whatever was on the bike when I bought it a few months ago. The Earl's lines made a huge difference.
                        Really? Do you have super strong fingers, or normal ones? I have a pretty strong grip, (rock climbing, dirt riding) and after adding the second disc and braided steel lines to my 750 I still need two fingers to get the wheel to lock, three with a passenger.

You must have some very good pads, I wonder what they are? The ones I put on my car last year (Jurid OE Improved Compound) are almost too strong, after they are on about a second they get hot and get more grip, perhaps double what they have cold. You have to let off the brake pedal to keep a consistent stop.

I would like some like these on the GS.

Comment

I went down to one front disc on a 550 as a result of going for wire wheels with alloy rims in search of weight saving. At the same time I upgraded to SS lines and put in some good pads - sorry, I can't remember the brand.

The brakes weren't great beforehand and they weren't great afterwards but I don't really think I noticed much difference if I'm honest. Having only very rarely ridden modern machines I've just learned to expect brakes to behave how you know they are going to behave, accepted it and ridden accordingly.

Would I do it again, now on a 1000? No.
                          (So there's two conflicting views!)

Wally
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Really? Do you have super strong fingers, or normal ones? I have a pretty strong grip, (rock climbing, dirt riding) and after adding the second disc and braided steel lines to my 750 I still need two fingers to get the wheel to lock, three with a passenger.
                            Notice I said I can lock up the tire. That is no Metzeler on there. Just some imitation. I don't think the tire affords enough traction for a stoppie. However, I don't have a gorilla grip, but using the the outside of the lever towards the end definitely helps.
                            Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Did you use the 3 line setup or two separate front lines to the calipers?

I have the same setup on my G just with OE lines & I would say they are pretty weak but with a good four finger squeeze it scrubs speed off "ok".

I have loan of a mate's 92 750 Nighthawk at the moment.... single disk front & drum rear. The front is noticeably much stronger. Much more than the weight diff but it's got a twin piston caliper & a bigger disk....

Still like to see pics of that guys twin piston on stock disk setup mentioned earlier in the thread.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X