Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you guys find your GSXR front ends?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you guys find your GSXR front ends?!

There seems to be quite a few people on these boards that are doing the GSXR front end swap. So my question for you is, where do you find these complete front ends at reasonable prices?

I'd like to find a complete front end from a '93+ GSXR1100, so if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great

Ebay has em by the boat load. In most cases your buying sight un seen so the potential for picking up a problem set is there. I got my 96 GSXR1100 front on ebay with everything including wheel, brakes, triple tree, fender, clip ons, (didn't use) etc. Paid $400. Was located 75 miles from me so I did get a chance to see them before I paid for them and picked them up. Guy claimed engine blew so he was parting out. Could just as easily have been stolen for all you know. Its tempting to buy the pieces here and there but it will probably cause problems and extra cost later on.

Changed out the fork oil that winter and the next summer when I installed them the right fork seal was leaking. No big deal just changed them out. Get the longest ones you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
      Ebay has em by the boat load. In most cases your buying sight un seen so the potential for picking up a problem set is there. I got my 96 GSXR1100 front on ebay with everything including wheel, brakes, triple tree, fender, clip ons, (didn't use) etc. Paid $400. Was located 75 miles from me so I did get a chance to see them before I paid for them and picked them up. Guy claimed engine blew so he was parting out. Could just as easily have been stolen for all you know. Its tempting to buy the pieces here and there but it will probably cause problems and extra cost later on.

Changed out the fork oil that winter and the next summer when I installed them the right fork seal was leaking. No big deal just changed them out. Get the longest ones you can find.
      Questions:
      1. What kind of riding are you doing w/the modded front ends that the change would make a difference?
      2. Given the nature of the '80's frame and relative structural weakness compared w/the "newer" tech frames, any stress breaks, wobbles in tight fast corners, etc.? Are you gusseting/reinforcing the frames?
      3. If you're doing the front, wouldn't you have to do the swing arm? Then you have the frame stiffness issue again.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
        Questions:
        1. What kind of riding are you doing w/the modded front ends that the change would make a difference?
        2. Given the nature of the '80's frame and relative structural weakness compared w/the "newer" tech frames, any stress breaks, wobbles in tight fast corners, etc.? Are you gusseting/reinforcing the frames?
        3. If you're doing the front, wouldn't you have to do the swing arm? Then you have the frame stiffness issue again.
        #1. some people switch jsut so they have a range of newer rubber they can mount up front. The newer fronts have bigger/better brakes... the newer fronts are stiffer and usd forks with in some cases better dampning and rebound adjustments.

#2. I haven't seen any problems with the folks changing them out. The new components usually end up being lighter.

#3. why would redoing the front prompt a change of the rear? Unless you are comparing stiffness and technology. Though usually yes you'd want to change the rear also to keep the tires/tire sizes matched...

I switched out the suspension components on my 550 and still have yet to swap out whole peices to no ill effect. well except that the suspension is now very stiff and it goes around corners insted or porpising through them...

Comment

I have yet to find a single complete front end on eBay...

Comment

Its rare for a complete front end from a gsxr or similar to appear on ebay as most people know you get more cash for the bits if you break them down...... for example a set of 4 pot nissins fetch £30 to £60 in the uk but wouldnt add that amount when sold with a set of forks

One way i know of to get a complete front end in one go is to buy direct from a local breaker but expect to pay a premium

Private sales in the bike press are sometimes a winner :-D

Another way is to buy a complete damaged bike & sell off what you dont need, sometimes you even make a small profit \\/

The cheapest way i know of is to know what fits what & trawl ebay for the right parts at the right price over the course of a couple months :-D

Comment

Had to buy my GSX 600 F front end parts off e-bay pretty much one at a time, wheel came from California, front rotors fron New york, calipers from Illinois. fender from Maryland, trees and fork legs from Nevada, handlebars from Ohio. Matching rear wheel came from the great state of Texas, (C/O Mr. Billy Ricks thru this forum, the rear wheel is what started it all!) And the rear caliper came from Utah. I also have gsxr carbs on it that came from New Mexico.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I've got 1994 GSXR1100 upside down forks with triple tree and steering stem with tapered bearings, plus 1989 GSXR750 front wheel with used tire, complete with rotors, rebuilt Nissin brake calipers with new pads, rebuilt front master cylinder with brake lever, and braided brake lines (used), axle and speedo drive. I bought the forks through a guy on the GS Resources; they're not perfect, but they're clean, straight and look fully functional. I was told these forks bolt straight up to the GS1000, but you may want to confirm this with others who've actually made the swap.

These were intended for my 1978 GS1000, but I've decided to stay with the period-correct look and of course period-correct bouncy front end. $200 + shipping for the whole enchilada. If you're interested I can send pictures.

John
                1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
                  I've got 1994 GSXR1100 upside down forks with triple tree and steering stem with tapered bearings, plus 1989 GSXR750 front wheel with used tire, complete with rotors, rebuilt Nissin brake calipers with new pads, rebuilt front master cylinder with brake lever, and braided brake lines (used), axle and speedo drive. I bought the forks through a guy on the GS Resources; they're not perfect, but they're clean, straight and look fully functional. I was told these forks bolt straight up to the GS1000, but you may want to confirm this with others who've actually made the swap.

These were intended for my 1978 GS1000, but I've decided to stay with the period-correct look and of course period-correct bouncy front end. $200 + shipping for the whole enchilada. If you're interested I can send pictures.

John
                  You've got a PM

Comment

jskellington, if liloaty doesn't buy those forks off you I'm very interested and can pick them up in person this weekend.

Comment

I personally just picked up a '94 Katana 750 frame and complete suspension, plus wheels and brakes off of Craig's List for $125. The guy was selling just a wheel. So I PM'd him asking about the other wheel and the suspension. He replied that he still had everything yet and was willing to deal.

2 weeks later it was all in my garage.

I suggest that anyone looking for more that what's posted to feel free to PM someone and ask if they have what your looking for. You will get a lot of "No" votes, but every so often you will score big!

It doesn't matter if it's eBay or Craig's list, always ask, because you never know until you know.

Comment

Yep, I'm picking up (well, was going to... I'm having issues so someone else is and I'm getting the parts I need anyway) an '89 Katana 750, complete enough that it would be ridable if it ran, for $100. Wait for a while and you can find excellent deals.

Comment

For the OP, keep hunting on eBay. I managed to score a complete 2004 GSXR 1000 front end, took 2 months of scouting on eBay.

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
                          Questions:
                          1. Any spirited twisties or racetrack riding. If you like to lean the bike hard, you'll see a gain. The newer suspension components (forks/swingarm) are nice and stiff and will remove a lot of the weaving/wallowing due to flex in the older components.

2. Bracing/gusseting the frames can only help with structural rigidity if done properly. Witness how Ducati won the 2007 MotoGP championship on a trellised steel tube frame beating out even the newer "tech" frames of the primarily Japanese competitors. Point being is that a steel tube frame can be plenty stiff...

I braced the subframe on mine and combined with the GSXR 1000 swingarm there is no noticable flex in that area anymore. I'll soon be bracing the backbone/spine of the frame to stiffen up that area as well.

3. IMO both ends of the suspension must be done to get the maximum gain.

Comment

jskellington, your PM box is full.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
                              jskellington, your PM box is full.
                              Don't worry...I'm jumping on the front end ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X