brakes 79 750 and bigger rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

If you have the time, skill, and inclination to put wider wheels, brakes, and tires on your bike, go for it. You'll need to change your steering geometry to take advantage of it.
    He couldn't change a brake stay, somehow doing what you have done seems out of the question.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      Meh, I have no chicken strips on my GS which has a 120/180 combo of modern sportbike radials on it.
      You're doing better than me, then. I have the rear scrubbed on my GSXR1K, but still about 1/4-3/8" of untouched rubber on the front. Of course, I saw that one set of trackday rubber you posted pics of and they were USED. You just may be faster than I am no matter what...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by GSBuilder View Post
        Yes, you can lean on a skinny, but a fat tire with larger contact patch means more grip... Or do those silly MotoGP, Superbike and other racers just want more unsprung mass by going wider.
        They use a lot wider wheel for those fat tires. Putting a "too large" tire on a narrow rim just messes up everything and you're worse off than if you had kept to the standard size
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Apologies for the Hi-Jack but, has any one run a 120/80/18 rear instead of 120/90 on 2.50 rim? If so, How did it handle? Was leaned over grip compromized ? Which did you pefer/recommend?I'm switching to spokes on my 1100 and trying to decide what tire and size to go with. I run 130/90/17 on rear with the cast 2.50 wheel now, but figured I'd run 120's so the width would better fit the rim. Just not sure what aspect ratio to go with for a good handling profile.
          Thanks

Comment

I run a 130/90 on my cafe, and its spokes all the way. No probs at all. Go for 130/90 dood. Recently I swapped rims on my 1100G, and the one that came off had a 130/90 on it. the one that went on had a 130/80 on it. Other than the slight ride hight change, which I noticed, handling differences were a non issue. I prefered the 90, and will change BACK to a 90 on my next tire change. But as I said, i felt no handling characteristic issues from the 90 to the 80.

Comment

Thanks for the reply CAFE. If you didn't find any handling issues I think I might go with the 80 profile then 'cause I actually am looking to keep the rear close to the same height as was with 17" wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                They use a lot wider wheel for those fat tires. Putting a "too large" tire on a narrow rim just messes up everything and you're worse off than if you had kept to the standard size
                No kidding, the wheel must match the rim, that's common sense, but saying you can't change it and make things handle better is just ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by GSBuilder View Post
                  No kidding, the wheel must match the rim, that's common sense, but saying you can't change it and make things handle better is just ignorance.
                  And you don't think the fact that you have vastly improved the suspension, or that you are running radial tires, or that you have totally changed the steering geometry has as much to do with it as the fact that the tires are wider?
                  Last edited by tkent02; 06-22-2008, 12:44 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    And you don't think the fact that you have vastly improved the suspension, or that you are running radial tires, or that you have totally changed the steering geometry has as much to do with it as the fact that the tires are wider?
                    No, I don't. I think it has far more to do with it than just the tire width, I don't think we're disagreeing that much, I'm just saying you absolutely CAN go wider, but you do need to think it through.

Comment

well, if anyone cares, my po put a 130/90 on my 78 750, he "modified" the torque link buy smashing it flat with a pair of vise-grips in the area of the tire. i wish he hadn't. when i change my tires, i am going to go down to a 120/90, or even a 120/80. and pick up a new, non-mangled torque link.

btw, tom, you got the springs?
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Put a 120/90/ tire on it. Personally I think an 80 series is too wide for a GS rim!! but It's your bike.
                        if you have the 2.15 wide rim a 130/90 will fit too...
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2008, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X