engine swap ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine swap ideas

I found this site after I bought a 82' gs750e. This bike was sitting in my uncles shed for 3 years. I started cleaning it up, and when the carbs where clean i put it back together and tried to start it. This is where problems began. The bike startes, but only with help and then only idles at 3000 rpms. I have not done a compression test yet, but due to the amount of smoke that was coming from the intake breather, it is suspected of having bad rings. I am thinking of changing out the whole engine just to save on some of the hassle. I would like advice to what is a gook engine to put into and what it would involve in changing the engine out.

Originally posted by cborge View Post
    I found this site after I bought a 82' gs750e. This bike was sitting in my uncles shed for 3 years. I started cleaning it up, and when the carbs where clean i put it back together and tried to start it. This is where problems began. The bike startes, but only with help and then only idles at 3000 rpms. I have not done a compression test yet, but due to the amount of smoke that was coming from the intake breather, it is suspected of having bad rings. I am thinking of changing out the whole engine just to save on some of the hassle. I would like advice to what is a gook engine to put into and what it would involve in changing the engine out.
    For the time, effort and money involved in changing out the motor, you could change the rings and valve seals. If its smoking on idle (albeit HIGH idle) its more than likely the valve seals. If this is the case, and its been sitting a long time, once you get it running PROPERLY, it may clear up and stop smoking. I have had the same thing happen with my 750 motor. And a couple of the other guys on the board know this to be true as well. First thing i would do however, is get the intake leaks taken care of, as this is what is causing your hanging idle. Once you have this sorted out, you'll be better armed to asess the condition of the motor. Throwing money and parts at the problem will only serve to frustrate and dishearten you from getting it on the road. Take some time and read the WELCOME list of stuff to help you on your way that will SOON (any minute now...) be coming from BassCliff's official Unofficial welcome Welcome to the GSR

Comment

swapping the engine is not a big deal
      but finding one that you know for sure is really good might be
      GS850GT

Comment

Get all of the externals sorted out and you may be pleasantly surprised. These are pretty sturdy engines. Adjust the valves, get it running ok (get the carbs squared away). Bad rings are not going to make it run poorly after 3000 rpm's. So, you have other issues to contend with whether or not you swap the engine. Get them fixed first and then see what you have. Maybe think about changing valve seals while you're in there doing the valve adjustment.

Comment

Just so you know, a 16 valve 1100 or 1150 motor bolts right in! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
            Maybe think about changing valve seals while you're in there doing the valve adjustment.
            are you saying you can change the valve seals without taking the head off of the engine and taking the valves out?
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              are you saying you can change the valve seals without taking the head off of the engine and taking the valves out?
              Yes, you can, but it IS difficult! You have to build a fixture for compressing the springs & you have to pressurize the combustion chamber. Definitely do-able but also fairly difficult. NOT a way to do it for the lesser in skills. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X