Battery eliminator? capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery eliminator? capacitor?

Has anyone messed around with these on a GS? Any thoughts?

At first, I guess that your bike has a kickstart? Anyway, I doubt that you can get the engine started without a battery. Most likely the generator doesn't produce enough current for ignition before it spins at normal idle speed.
    Arttu
    GS1100E EFI turbo
    Project thread

Comment

Battery eliminators are for bikes with self powered ignition systems.
      The GS have battery ignition. Kind of won't work to well without a battery.

Comment

I did this with my old Triumph. Its a good question of you could get enough power out of the GS's generator while kick starting it to fire the bike. It's been so long since I have even owned a bike with a kick start, I would hate to guess. Time for you to make some measurements.. Post what you find out!

Comment

WHY???

What are you trying to achieve?
          Last edited by trippivot; 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
            WHY???

What are you trying to achieve?
            Hey take it easy pal. I'm just curious, never said I wanted to do it. Thanks for your thoughtful response though (yes sarcastic).

But for what it's worth, I thought maybe someone could in theory ditch their battery and starter, bump start their bike, and lose maybe 20lbs or so.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
              I did this with my old Triumph. Its a good question of you could get enough power out of the GS's generator while kick starting it to fire the bike. It's been so long since I have even owned a bike with a kick start, I would hate to guess. Time for you to make some measurements.. Post what you find out!
              i've kicked over my 78 kz400 with no battery. took starting fluid and good timing, though :P

Comment

My buddy rides a '78 kz400. It takes him a few good kicks (standing off the bike) to get it running, sorta...

Comment

Originally posted by sark View Post
                  But for what it's worth, I thought maybe someone could in theory ditch their battery and starter, bump start their bike, and lose maybe 20lbs or so.
                  Yeah, I guess that if you removed the battery and had to push your bike every time you started it, you would lose 20 pounds rather quickly.

This bike, on the other hand, might lose about 10 or so, due to lack of battery, maybe another 3 or 4 due to lack of starter.
                  Now, when you accidently kill it trying to take off at an uphill stop light, things will get really exciting.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bump started my mkII GTi for an entire semester, no big deal.

Comment

I happen to have a kickstart bike, and have tried to kickstart it with a LOW battery. Yes, it will work with a low battery, and yes, my leg was black and blue, bloodied and I damn near had a heart attack. I Happen to be PRO kickstarter (they should never have done away with them) but can tell you that a batt eliminator probably wont work. It might, and you might DIE trying to find out too. But I think our ignition system just cant deal with it. However, you'll lose a good 5 lbs by pulling the starter motor

Comment

Originally posted by sark View Post
                        Hey take it easy pal. I'm just curious, never said I wanted to do it. Thanks for your thoughtful response though (yes sarcastic).

Forget trimming the weight and focus on adding HP!! LOL

Comment

i "think" there has been a thread about this....a few years back....search yet?
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Diet and exercise...

Oh, wait. That wasn't the question.

Mucking around with capacitors isn't the answer. If you are truly committed to the kickstart lifestyle, simply install the smallest 12V SLA battery you can get away with and remove the starter and solenoid. Any good electronics store (that means NOT Radio Shack) should have several SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries to choose from -- they're very common in battery backup systems, rechargeable lanterns, etc.

Make sure the carbs are in perfect tune so it lights up immediately, and you'll be fine.

If you're really dedicated, rig up a switch to kill the lights while you're starting the beast if it doesn't have one already.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did this myself a few years back using a spare Boyer Bransden Power box I had kicking around. Worked fine on my GS550 (attempted to make the lightest GS550 known to man) though lights went a bit dim on TO (only to be expected I suppose).

A mate of mine who knows way more than me about electrics / electronics reckoned he could knock up something similar for a heck of a lot cheaper.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X