Which plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which plugs?

I have oil on my plugs in my GS700, should be using the D7, D8, or D9 plugs?

I believe the D-8s are the stock plug for that bike & if it is oiling, you could run the hotter 7s in it. The CORRECT thing would be to check it to see WHY it is oiling. If it needs rings & seals & fix THAT. Ray.

Comment

Plugs on the 85 700's were D8EA. As Rapdray indicated, it would be best to figure out why your plugs are oiling up before you put in something hotter. You don't want to cook anything with too hot a plug.
      Make sure your plugs are oil fouled and not gas fouled !!!!

Comment

+ 1 on fixing the oil leak first.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I don't have the mechanical know how to fix piston rings (if that's the problem).

Comment

Call me at 714-356-7845 & I will help you. I build GSs for a living. Where do you live? Ray.

Comment

Cross country from you, MD. Okay now I'm confused. When I got the bike I pulled the plugs and they were covered in oil. I changed the plugs and pulled them today, not one had oil on them. When I got the bike it had sat for 5 years before me. I'm kinda confused now because an oil problem disappeared.

Comment

Before storing the bike, someone may have put some oil in the cylinders to keep the rings from sticking or rusting in place. Or the oil might have been put in there later on to try and free up the rings. These are both pretty common and good things.

So quit worrying about it, put in some stock plugs and GO RIDE THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR GS!
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Sorry to be a worry wart, but care to elaborate on the oil so I can do it this winter

Comment

bel-rey 6 in 1 spray oil - light film oil not a chain wax type or hardening type spray lube. not wd-40 no lube in there even a pump squirt can that holds engine oil.

take a spark plug out squirt squirt a little fluid down into the cylinder. not a lot but 10ml ~20ml milliliters is enough. turn the engine over 6-7 times after all cylinders are prepped for storage. return the plugs fill up the fuel tank to the top, drain the float bowls, and remove the battery. make sure the tires are not in the direct sun and you are nearly ready to put it away for a long time.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Just to add to trippivot's advice, besides the sun its good not to have the tires in direct contact with the damp ground if possible. I also plug the exhaust, and air intake to keep critter's from nesting in there.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                        Just to add to trippivot's advice, besides the sun its good not to have the tires in direct contact with the damp ground if possible. I also plug the exhaust, and air intake to keep critter's from nesting in there.
                        One more thing to add-

I use "Stabil" for all my gas during the winter season.

I use the 2 stroke oil premix with Stabil in it, I still had one can with gas from 2 seasons ago, I just finished it off in the Weed eaters this season.

Then depending on the bike, I spray a light coat of WD40 on the outside of the cases, & wheels (not the tires) to prevent oxidation.

The film of dust I just spray off in the spring, and everything looks as it did the yr before.

Happy Haulin'
                        Ron

Comment

Working...
                        X