GS1100Gparts on GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100Gparts on GS1000

I know I've read it here somewhere before about GS1100 parts on a GS1000. I think the GS1100G head fits and Maybe the cylinders. Does the Crank also fit (does it have a longer stroke). I may have access to these items reasonably cheap, and as I'm planning on rebuilding a motor from a GS1000 parts bike this winter, thought I'd use them (better shape than the 1000 parts) also as I thought of putting a1146 kit in, with the 1100G cylinders it would be a bore instead of new sleeves. any thoughts. thanks

I know that you can swap a GS1100 2V cylinder and pistons from a shaft drive GS1100L or G model.
    As far as the swap goes it is a bolt-on. The 1100 2v cylinder does not have the rectangular o-ring around the cam chain tunnel that the chain drive motor has so you need a head gasket from the Shaft drive model.
    Not sure about the crankshaft though sorry.....
    The G head will give you larger intakes, unless you have an ET 1000 which already has 34mm CVs
    If you can find a GK head you will also get the infamous d shaped intake ports and you will be able to run the 34mm CVs or even some 36mm carbs off an 1150....
    Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

isn't all the 8v 1000-1100 GS stuff 38mm intake 32mm exhaust?
      shaft/chain including the CV heads?

ok i believe your saying intake "runners".
      i thought you meant valve size...oooooops
      Last edited by blowerbike; 11-05-2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: ok

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        isn't all the 8v 1000-1100 GS stuff 38mm intake 32mm exhaust?
        shaft/chain including the CV heads?

ok i believe your saying intake "runners".
        i thought you meant valve size...oooooops

Intake valves on the 80 model GS1000 with CV carbs are 1mm larger than the 78-79 models
        Oz

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
          Intake valves on the 80 model GS1000 with CV carbs are 1mm larger than the 78-79 models
          Oz
          Intake valves are the same part number for all GS1000's.

Edit: comment above is for the US market, excluding some GS1000S craziness in Australia.
          Last edited by Nessism; 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As Blowerbike says, I am pretty sure the intake valves are 38mm for all of the 2V 1000s

Comment

Comment

I can verify the 1100G head will bolt right on the 1000G block, and that the 1000G block can be bored to take the stock 1100G pistons because that's what I did. I don't know about the crank. My 1100G head is the GK, it had the "D" exhaust ports. There are a couple of different cam covers for that 1100G head, so be careful to count bolt holes and get the right one.

Comment

So, will the cyl just drop in also? what about wrist pins? are they the same size?Will the cases need bored? are the 1100 cams bigger? Sorry for all the questions, ive been thinking about this also..Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
                    So, will the cyl just drop in also? what about wrist pins? are they the same size?Will the cases need bored? are the 1100 cams bigger? Sorry for all the questions, ive been thinking about this also..Thanks
                    Not 100% on the cylinders bolting right up to the bottom end, but pretty sure they do, I used my 1000 block because I only bought the 1100 head and pistons. The wrist pins are the same.

Yes, to mount the bigger pistons you'll have to bore the cylinders if using the 1000 block. I think the going rate is about $40 to $50 per cylinder, so the whole thing costs about $200 or so. I sent my block to APE, and they bored each cylinder to match the piston that was going in it then I installed with stock (not oversize) 1100 rings.

The cams are the same. I used the 1100 cams just because the journals were already worn into that head.

Comment

I just happen to have a 1000E bottom end and a 1100G cylinder and pistons just sitting here, I'll see if it fits.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        I just happen to have a 1000E bottom end and a 1100G cylinder and pistons just sitting here, I'll see if it fits.
                        Man, someday I'll have spare engine hunks just sitting around the garage, at least I hope so. All I have is a trashed 1000G head!

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                          Man, someday I'll have spare engine hunks just sitting around the garage, at least I hope so. All I have is a trashed 1000G head!
                          I use them for landscaping.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Let me know about the 1100 stuff bolting on. I have an extra 79 1000E motor, and access to an 1100g Might be fun to build a bigger motor to drop in my 1000 when it comes time for another rebuild.

Comment

Is the 1100e swingarm a direct fit?

Comment

Working...
                              X