750es with radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750es with radials

What tyre pressures are you guys running?

Can't find any info on the Michelin site for these pilot powers..... I'm 165 if that affects anything.

Should be firing it up very soon. Waiting on some last paint to dry. Pics will follow on my other thread.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I think you can probably follow the old rule of thumb that I have used for years:

Look for a 10% increase between cold and warm pressures.

Not sure just where to start, as I don't know how radial pressures would compare, but maybe 35 psi?
    Then go for a ride and look for a 3.5 psi increase. Larger increase would indicate that you were too low to start with, and vice versa.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I run 30 up front and 31 in the rear. After they heat up I see right at 3 lbs more at each end. Cooler temps and road surfaces will most likely need less unless you're pushing the tires hard.

Comment

Pretty soft then (I run 36F 42R on the Skunk as recommended by Avon).

OK will give something like that a go then, thanks.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

36 front and rear is always a good place to start with Pilot Powers.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            36 front and rear is always a good place to start with Pilot Powers.

Been there, done that...have to say that this recomendation is good advice.
            As always, if you're going to be dragging hard parts in tight corners then lower the pressure some (I've never gone under 31 on the street with any tire), but by-and-large I too go with 36 on my MIchies as a standard setting.

-KR

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I run 30 up front and 31 in the rear. After they heat up I see right at 3 lbs more at each end.
              Sounds like a decent confirmation of my 10%, eh?

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Pretty soft then (I run 36F 42R on the Skunk as recommended by Avon).
              For some reason, Avon has always needed higher pressures than other tires. Many of the GoldWing riders that use Avons run their tires as high as 50 psi for good handling and tire life. Not sure what the maximum on the sidewall is, but I think 50 might be just a bit higher than that.
              I ran my Dunlop E3s at 41/41, I run my Michelin Pilot GTs at 41/41, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did a little hunting around on the internet & came up with the same 36/36 conclusion. Seems the Michelins need a little more pressure than some sport bike tyres as they have an ultra soft sidewall....

Hopefully get the exhaust on today & fire this thing up!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I did a little hunting around on the internet & came up with the same 36/36 conclusion. Seems the Michelins need a little more pressure than some sport bike tyres as they have an ultra soft sidewall....

Hopefully get the exhaust on today & fire this thing up!

Just check your cold vs hot pressures, that's the best way to judge if you have too little or too much air. On an 81 degree overcast day I had 31 in the front and 32 in the rear and only saw only a 2 lb rise after a hard run. That means the tire never did heat up the way you would like to see for grip's sake. The 10% Steve mentions is what you want to see, 10% higher pressure once a tire heats up. Not enough increase and you're running too much air, too much increase and the tires are too soft.

Comment

Plenty of time to mess with that I guess... Exhaust not on yet but will be tomorrow I hope.

Billy is it your centre stand that I have? I'll be in position to give it back soon!

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                    X