1260cc 78mm block/piston setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1260cc 78mm block/piston setup

I am looking at a 1260cc block/piston setup with 78mm pistons and sleeved block. How much work would have to be done to the cases for this to fit? Could it be done without pulling the cases apart?

You'd have to split the cases to have the uppers machined for the bigger sleeves.
    The "need for speed" has officially taken over your life.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      You'd have to split the cases to have the uppers machined for the bigger sleeves.
      That has yet to happen to you, right?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
        That has yet to happen to you, right?

Eric
        Rode my bike today after a couple of weeks off. Man it was fun. Can't wait for the big build. A couple of weeks away.
        I've been riding a manual bike everywhere. Down sixty now.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Rode my bike today after a couple of weeks off. Man it was fun. Can't wait for the big build. A couple of weeks away.
          You mean a pedal bike?
          I have had the need for speed since I was a teen. At 19, I bought a $500 car and put $10,000 into the drivetrain I'm just nuts I guess.
          I dont like REAL high speeds, I just like to get there fast

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            You mean a pedal bike?
            I have had the need for speed since I was a teen. At 19, I bought a $500 car and put $10,000 into the drivetrain I'm just nuts I guess.
            I dont like REAL high speeds, I just like to get there fast
            Yeah a bicycle.
            Ride it to work, the store and the pharmacy. Bikes been colecting dust on the new paint job.
            I put alot of dough into SBC Camaros and Novas.
            Rode my friends ZX-14 and 150mph is cruising speed.

Comment

Bought a pedal bike when my clutch hub springs went south. I've been pedaling for almost a month now. Longest I had the bike down previously was two days. I may need a larger helmet to contain my stupid grin when I finally get it road-worthy again. Every day my brain yearns to be hurtling down the road on 1079 cc's of explosive acceleration. I'm going to have to get another bike if I decide to do any long-term projects. This is how it starts, right? First one, then you justify a second. I can see it now, ten years down the road, no house, no fancy clothes, no big car. Just me, a dilapidated shanty, and a full-service garage filled to the brim with all manner of two-wheeled mayhem.

As an aside, I plan on taking the GS off commuter duty as it is. Beginning to like pedaling, and it's only four miles to work, hardly enough time to warm the engine up properly, even in the middle of summer. Not being dependent on it for transportation also makes extended downtime viable. Which would make it easier to do big projects. Hmm...maybe buying a bicycle isn't going to be a money-saver, in the long run...

Comment

That's what you have to do. Not too bad. Gives you the chance weld the crank and change out the cam chain at the same time.

If buying used pistons, make sure they are not so old that you can't get rings for them.
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                  That's what you have to do. Not too bad. Gives you the chance weld the crank and change out the cam chain at the same time.

If buying used pistons, make sure they are not so old that you can't get rings for them.
                  I have had the engine apart twice in a couple months, not looking forward to doing it again. The crank is already welded. I decided to get some .340 lift Web cams and an oil cooler first, then if I need more power I will get it overbored.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    I decided to get some .340 lift Web cams and an oil cooler first, then if I need more power I will get it overbored.
                    What do you mean "if"?!!! LOL! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X