In need of opinions on open element air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of opinions on open element air cleaner

I'm running a 82 GS 1100L It has 4 into 1 exhaust from a unknown manufacture. I have a stock airbox and would like to change it to a open element for performance and looks. Does anyone have any stories about the performance gains? Also has any used Emgo pods they seem to be in my price range. What size carb do I have (in MM)? Thanks for helping out a newbie to the GS crowd.

From what I hear, you can expect a 10-15% HP gain by installing quality pod filters such as K&N combined with a quality 4-1 pipe. You MUST re-jet your carbs correctly or you will not achieve this. You may find it necessary to also buy a jet kit such as Dynojet.
    Re-jetting can be very frustrating if you have no experience and you can damage the motor if it's not done right. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just realize it can be a lot of trial and error that some of us don't have the time or patience for.
    If you don't mind this kind of thing, there are plenty of people here that can give advice. You would not be alone. You also get info with your jet kit.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I just want to re state something that Keith just said about the quality exhaust. If you don't know what exhaust you have perhaps posting a photo of it on the website or the gs-garage will enable someone to recognize it. there are some 4 into ones that are for looks and sound only and are not designed for performance. if that is the case than all the nuisance work that Keith is referring will produce no results and you Will have thrown your money away and be going back to the stock air intake system.

Comment

Yes, bewrae some exhausts. Years ago I borrowed an old 4-1 from someone to use instead of the standard pipes while I waited for my new 4-1 to turn up. It was slower than standard!

Comment

I have also heard that they affect the idle quality, but to me, the perf gain is worth it.....

Comment

Jetting can be a pain, but well worth it. On my 1000L I went with 130 mains and drilled out the pilots 2 full sizes to get rid of the bog just off idle. Right now it is sporting Jardine 4 into 2 pipes and pods, and pulls very hard, so I must be heading in the right direction. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X