No announcement yet.

gs1000 engine into a gs850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short answer, a complete 1000G motor is a straight bolt into the 850G frame.
    Done it a few times, both ways.

Comment

Which reminds me... I wonder how well a black 84 1100GK engine will look in a black 80 850G?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

About as good as a 350GT will look in my garage.........pasop.

Comment

Its actually going into a 850GL frame. I want to retain the stepped seat and lower seat height. Does this make any difference?

Comment

Nah.......

Comment

i converted my 850 shaftie to a 1000 chain driven motor. front mounts were close to lining up. rear mounts needed a spacer due to being less wide in the back. i am hardtailed have a rear gsx-r rim spaced to line up. as with everything, it can be done with enough time, money, and patience. i would assume with a 1000 swing arm and wheel it should line up i would suspect. didn't go that route though.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Which reminds me... I wonder how well a black 84 1100GK engine will look in a black 80 850G?
                It would look GREAT, ... if you could get it in there.

The frames are different part numbers, but I think most of the difference is in the rear footpeg/muffler mounts and tank mount. The motor mounts might be different.

If you want a preview, look in my sig at #2 son's bike. OK, it's not black and it's not an '80, but the '81 is the same styling, and it has a black '81 850 engine.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With the help of my friend, I got the 1000 engine in the 850GL frame. Everything lined up and the only spacers I had to put in were on the top rear mount. There was a 2 washer thick space. Now the only problem I have is finding all the bolts I took out of the frame when I tore down the 850 I burned down. Any thoughts on which rear diff I should use? I have both 850 and 1000. I will be using the smaller 850GL rim since it already has a new tire on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X