Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance and Hines exhaust on '77 GS750B

Gents,

Would a V&H exhaust like this one improve the performance of my GS750B? What changes in jetting would I have to make? How much louder than stock exhaust would it be? Comments?

Thanks
    Brian

With a stock motor, you will not see any appreciable power gains, even with proper jetting. Believe-it-or-not, the stock exhaust system is pretty effecient. The benefits of the V&H system are (subjective) 1- better, more aggressive sound, which I like, and 2 - a weight reduction, and possibly 3 - a more simple streamlined appearance.

Personally I like the V&H system, and will prolly go that route before spring, simply for the sound and cleaner look, but my bike runs extremely smooth in stock form and I am apprehensive about screwing up the throttle response when switching.

Also, of your stock exhaust system is in good shape, do not discard it. Keep it around, that way if you ever want to go back you can.

Comment

Thanks Bladerunner,

I would probably loose my centrestand with the V&H system too right?

Brian

Comment

I didnt have to remove my centerstand with my V&H 4-1, depends on the pipe and bike model/year.

Comment

I am faced with about 4 or 5 months of winter before I can ride again so wanted to make some improvements on the old GS. If I can find an 850 cylinder block and pistons I would put those on. Get the head rebuilt and then I was thinking about this exhaust change...but only if it would make a performance improvement. I have a very nice stock exhaust on the bike now which I like the look of.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
            I am faced with about 4 or 5 months of winter before I can ride again so wanted to make some improvements on the old GS. If I can find an 850 cylinder block and pistons I would put those on. Get the head rebuilt and then I was thinking about this exhaust change...but only if it would make a performance improvement. I have a very nice stock exhaust on the bike now which I like the look of.

Brian
            hi brian isn't this -23C fun
            if you are going to put the 850 stuff on the 750 cases then the exhaust would be a worthwhile addition when it's jetted properly then you will notice a nice improvement over the stock 750 in power and in the sound of the bike
            but as it was said earlier keep the original exhaust because they are hard to come by and are not cheap if there in good shape

Comment

Hey Jon, good to hear from you. Yeah winter came way too early and suddenly this year. Especially after a cool wet summer. I hope I can hook up with you next summer for some riding. I need to soup up the old 750 to keep up with that hi-perf 1000 of yours.

I think the 750 could use a top end overhaul anyways, because the compression is down and it blows blue smoke when i first start it up. I don't know what the milage is because it had a none-original instrument cluster on when i got it.

I still need the 850 jugs and pistons but I might go for this exhaust.

Thanks for the opinions.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by gssuzukixxx View Post
                Hey Jon, good to hear from you. Yeah winter came way too early and suddenly this year. Especially after a cool wet summer. I hope I can hook up with you next summer for some riding. I need to soup up the old 750 to keep up with that hi-perf 1000 of yours.

I think the 750 could use a top end overhaul anyways, because the compression is down and it blows blue smoke when i first start it up. I don't know what the milage is because it had a none-original instrument cluster on when i got it.

I still need the 850 jugs and pistons but I might go for this exhaust.

Thanks for the opinions.

Brian
                ya i would go for the exhaust
                if the compression is down then it's time for at least a set of rings so the 850 thing might as well be done to it as for the blue smoke on start up the usually indicates the the valve stem seals are worn and need replacing so time to get some head work done
                go and see don at
                universal cycle salvage (GS parts heaven)
                he might have some pistons and jugs for you if he does then i would be sure to get new rings for them and take the head to him and have the valve stem seals done and the valves and guides checked for wear
                and if you do the 850 bit to the motor then get a top end gasket kit with a head gasket and all the gaskets and stuff you'll need to put it back together
                and ya if the weather cooperates with us this year then we need to go riding for sure
                talk to you soon
                Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X