Quick clutch springs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick clutch springs question

Is replacing (upgrading) all 6 clutch springs likely to have much more effect than having just done the 3 (which had minimal effect) ?
    (addressing slipping clutch under power)
    thanx

Yes
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanx Bill. I'm going in again.

Comment

Did you get stock springs?
        Also deglaze the steels with some steel whool
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Did you get stock springs?
          Also deglaze the steels with some steel whool
          Barret (sp) stiffies.
          hmmm go deeper huh? I got time awaiting starter clutch bolts so why not!
          Thanx!!

Comment

Aftermarket springs are stiffer than stock. Many people use half OE and half aftermarket, since full aftermarket makes the hand effort high.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

With three stock springs (good ones) and three Barnett HD you should be fine with a stock motor and good steels and fibers.
              Got a caliper? Spec the fibers and steels.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Aftermarket springs are stiffer than stock. Many people use half OE and half aftermarket, since full aftermarket makes the hand effort high.
                no wifey, my wrists are pretty strong
                but did the 3 and 3. no real improvement.

Comment

With three stock springs (good ones) and three Barnett HD you should be fine with a stock motor and good steels and fibers.
                  Got a caliper? Spec the fibers and steels.
                  well the 3 stock I removed were obviously original (37K miles)
                  hmmm
                  no calipers but I need to score some
                  cheers

Comment

Put the six Barnett in then.
                    Worn out springs won't help much.
                    Go to autozone and get some calipers. Good fibers will spec out at 28mm.
                    Can't remember the steels.
                    No sense in putting it back together without checking it all out.

Comment

Go to autozone and get some calipers. Good fibers will spec out at 28mm.
                      Can't remember the steels.
                      No sense in putting it back together without checking it all out.
                      can I assume 2.8mm with respect to the minimum fiber thickness? I'll get some calipers tomorrow.
                      here's a photo of the steels (don't know if this will be telltale or not) ... but I'll guess that some steel wool certainly won't do any harm.
                      Thanx again

Comment

Yes 2.8
                        sorry
                        My manual is in Bakersfield and going on memory. 28mm is pretty silly though.

Comment

it was a legit number for this rookie, until I actually undid some bolts and figured the diameter wasn't 28mm / the circumference isn't 28mm ("oh, maybe there's simply a missing decimal point!?" ...bladdy blah blah ... bear with me ...)
                          but I am a 'quick study'.
                          much appreciated
                          the Extra Special will live again jaja

Yes 2.8
                          sorry
                          My manual is in Bakersfield and going on memory. 28mm is pretty silly though.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

2.6 is the minimum but I've always had slippage if it measured much under 2.8.
                            I'm big and my bike ain't stock.

Comment

lame photo I know ... OLD camera ... but when is it obvious that a clutch basket is fried?? ... there's lots of 'gnurling' (?) on the ridges

AND ... how many plates and fibres are there s'pose to be?? (1100ES) ... it wasn't obvious to me looking at a fiche ... I THINK I may have an extra of both 10 & 11 (?) ... I'll recheck in the morning before the beers

thanx for any input

Comment

Working...
                              X