you tube valve adjustment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you tube valve adjustment??

Just watched a guy do valve adjustment on 91 gsxr and he measured right off of the cam lobe,I always measure right on top of valve between valve and adjustable bolt with the lock nut on rocker style,he had the rockers just like my gs,am I measuring in wrong place???

Link?

Actually, it won't matter. If you measure between the cam and the rocker, you have no way of knowing what each valve is doing.

You should be measuring between the rocker and the valves, preferably with two feelers at the same time, to keep the rocker from tilting sideways.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought you did it between rocker and valve myself,think that's what manual suggest too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You should be measuring between the rocker and the valves, preferably with two feelers at the same time, to keep the rocker from tilting sideways..
        I have seen this suggested a couple times here, but the manual makes no mention of it. I wonder how much deflection is really possible, to skew results.
        If anyone has a dial indicator & is due for a valve check/adjustment, I'd appreciate if they could actually measure how much compression occurs in the adjoining tappet, when the feeler is inserted. I have the equipment but am not due, for a quite a while.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
        X