GS1000 into GS550 will it go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 into GS550 will it go

8) I have a modified 1980 GS550E. It has GSF600 running gear, front and back and a GSX1100 swingarm. I would like some extra power for a bit of drag racing. Has anyone fitted a GS1000E engine into a 550 frame

it is very likely a 1000cc motor wont fit, a 659 e may though.
    Dink

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the 1000 motor is physically too big to fit into the 550 frame.

Comment

Maybe a GSX700/750 motor with an 850 kit??

Comment

I would think that even if you got it in there you would encounter weight distribution issues. But you wouldn't have any trouble poping wheelies

Comment

Many thanks for the replies. If anyone could measure the height of the GS1000 engine from the bottom mounts to top of engine, and from the front engine mount to the rear. I would appreciate it very much.
            Call me mad but I like small bikes with big engines.
            I was inspired by a Kawasaki Z650 fitted with a Z1000 engine bored to 1260cc and with nitrous.
            Once this project is finished, I have a GSX750 Katana S3 in the shed waiting for a wheels up rebuild.8)

Comment

Try a GSXR motor, they are way smaller end to end, and top to bottom than a GS motor.
              Dink

Comment

I like Dink's idea (air/oil cooled version for simplicity)

In absence of that, bottom engine mount to top of cam cover is 450mm, from front mount to rear of engine( in frnt of swinarm) is 500mm.

The GSX1100 motor fits in the GS1000 frame, so physically is a similar size. One different engine plate needed at the fron (straight rather than curved from memeory)

Comment

There is a guy that used to post here, I think he went under the name krash, who is in the process of mounting a '90 GSXR750 in his 550 frame. He hasn't posted here in a while. Look back through the do a search for posts by crash and see if you can find one on what he is doing.

Comment

Here are two threads of his and it is a '92 motor he is using. That's the last year of the airheads so it should be the most refined.

Look back through his threads, he's done some good work on his bike.

Comment

Thanks again for all your help.
                      I have seen a GSXR750 in GS550 frame plenty of room.
                      I just love the style of the GS motor its got style.
                      Will let you know how I get on 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X