81 GS750L Big Bore Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750L Big Bore Kit

Currently I have had to take a bit of a break from working on my 750 and even through I am not consistently working on it I am never really done with planning on future options for the bike. Lately I have been looking into some wiseco pistons that are bored 3mm over stock and raises the engine to 816cc and 10.25:1 compression according to the manufacturer.

I would like to go through and get some more power out of my already quick bike although I have been reading some other threads on the site which suggest there might be a possibility where I could swap over some jugs and head from a larger gs and bolt up. Is this a possibility on the 750's or would I be better suited to run with the big bore kit?

Any info is appreciated

the 80-82 750's have a VERY weak bottom end even when stock.
    i would put my money toward an 1100/1150 engine which will bolt right in and be nearly unbreakable.
    JMO

Comment

Yeah I have heard the 1100 motors are very tough. What year 1100/1150 would bolt in my frame?

Comment

Originally posted by mlymanz71 View Post
        Yeah I have heard the 1100 motors are very tough. What year 1100/1150 would bolt in my frame?
        16 valve...80-86 1100/1150 engine.
        there's an 82 kat 1000 that will fit but i doubt there's any complete engines left.

Comment

Dangit, well I guess I will keep researching and see if I end up doing it. Right now it is all just in the thought process trying to determine if I would put it in the Cafe project or snagging one and building a bobber out of it once I am done with the cafe. Or just buy 2 1100's and be done with it

Comment

Yup I will second that! Just go with an 1100/1150, I modded my 750, poured tons of money into it. Then I found an 1100 and BANG!! the bike has totally different personality, mondo torque. Just dont go overboard like I did with modding the 1100, unless you want to have longer arms

Comment

Ha ha thanks gear head! Well the idea behind the thread is somewhat based off of a nice little trip out to Bonneville this last august and I have always wanted to get a little more power out of my 750 but was unsure if I should follow through on it since I have the 2002 bandit 1200S that might be getting a gsxr cam and high compression pistons but the more I thought about it I imagined myself with a huge grin flying down the freeway like superman holding onto the handlebars and my feet flapping in the wind behind me. I will have to do some financial evaluation to see if it would be a plausible option to snag a 1100/1150 motor. So far I can see they are somewhat scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by mlymanz71 View Post
                Ha ha thanks gear head! Well the idea behind the thread is somewhat based off of a nice little trip out to Bonneville this last august and I have always wanted to get a little more power out of my 750 but was unsure if I should follow through on it since I have the 2002 bandit 1200S that might be getting a gsxr cam and high compression pistons but the more I thought about it I imagined myself with a huge grin flying down the freeway like superman holding onto the handlebars and my feet flapping in the wind behind me. I will have to do some financial evaluation to see if it would be a plausible option to snag a 1100/1150 motor. So far I can see they are somewhat scarce.
                your bandit only needs early gixxer cams(degree's correctly)..don't have to be sling shots either.
                a set or RS 36-38's(tuned correctly) and a full pipe and a +5 advancer to get 130hp at the rear wheel.
                no need to remove the head!
                i was 230lbs in shorts and flip flops and went low 10.70's@129mph/almost 130mph w/ stock wheel base for 100+ passes!
                added a 3 over arm and went low 10.50's!
                its all in the correct parts and tuning.

-------------------------------------------------------
                i ran a two brothers pipe with full packing and baffle...very very quiet.
                i pulled the guts out and lost almost 2 tenths!
                i couldn't re install that day cause i didn't have a rivet gun.
                the whole time i raced this bike all you could hear on video was the carbs roaring! hahaha
                over 500 passes and sold the bike with 2k miles and still brand new and running perfect!
                Last edited by blowerbike; 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Finding an 1100 is like being on a donor list. Sometimes you just get lucky. My 1100 motor has 11k miles on it and is tight, free of leaks and loads more umph then the 750. $500 I paid. Total swap didn't cost me much for I'm sitting on so many parts. And before I actually got the motor I slowly upgraded the bike(replaced worn components with high end bits) to be ready to accept the bigger motor. Busa Chain&Sprockets, brakes, Exhaust, Carbs, Ignition, suspension. Etc... That's the route I went so when the 1100 showed up for cheap the only Investment was buying, jetting, wiring and bolting the new motor. Bike was ready for the engine far before I bought it.

I plan on buying another Bandit in the near future. Terry's recommended upgrades are easy to do, ran similar on my Old B12. Nasty but reliable power. Not many on the road thy could keep up.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2002 Honda Reflex 250
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                  2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                  Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

[QUOTE=blowerbike;1777835]i was 230lbs in shorts and flip flops and went low 10.70's@129mph/almost 130mph w/ stock wheel base for 100+ passes!
                    QUOTE]
                    You really should dress a little safer if you are going that fast

Comment

[QUOTE=TeamDar;1777980]
                      Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      i was 230lbs in shorts and flip flops and went low 10.70's@129mph/almost 130mph w/ stock wheel base for 100+ passes!
                      QUOTE]
                      He was trying to cut down on the drag ya know...
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        Finding an 1100 is like being on a donor list. Sometimes you just get lucky. .
                        This got me to thinking...I used to hang with a crowd from Roswell, NM, yes alien central...several of them had 80-81 GS1100Es and a couple 82s and 83s. I know at the time two of the 80s were tore down because they twisted the crank and were going to send them out to be realigned and welded. Never happened, that and the other motors were taken out and never replaced. They been sitting in this guys work place for years. Next time I go over, I'm going to look him up and see if he knows where they might be yet. I'll let y'all know what I find out.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          This got me to thinking...I used to hang with a crowd from Roswell, NM, yes alien central...several of them had 80-81 GS1100Es and a couple 82s and 83s. I know at the time two of the 80s were tore down because they twisted the crank and were going to send them out to be realigned and welded. Never happened, that and the other motors were taken out and never replaced. They been sitting in this guys work place for years. Next time I go over, I'm going to look him up and see if he knows where they might be yet. I'll let y'all know what I find out.
                          I'm pretty sure this is what happens to any 1100/1150 motor. They are just collected up by the builders then they can charge whatever they want since the control the market on them... Lol That's my theory any way.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2002 Honda Reflex 250
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                          2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                          Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

[QUOTE=TeamDar;1777980]
                            Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            QUOTE]
                            who would have thunk you would have brought this to everyone's attention hahaha
                            just saying...with leathers and suited up i was over 250lbs...lol
                            now if muncie was local i could have wore the attire mentioned in my previous post

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              I'm pretty sure this is what happens to any 1100/1150 motor. They are just collected up by the builders then they can charge whatever they want since the control the market on them... Lol That's my theory any way.
                              if a person's smart and if they race or are in business of a certain model...
                              you buy everyone you can buy if the price is right..
                              flip some...part the others and keep the good sheet for your racing program.
                              pre internet i found an 1150 with engine and chassis work in a local paper.
                              called and left a message...weeks went buy and the guy calls...been on vacation.
                              bike was listed for a grand.
                              i was at his house the next day before he got home from work..bought it for 900.00
                              news got out i had "fresh" 1150...people didn't want bikes that's been seen around..kinda like someone else's girl friend..sloppy seconds and such...lol
                              sold it that night for 3 grand!!!
                              those was the good old days!

Comment

Working...
                              X