550 mods n stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 mods n stuff

hey guys, apologies if these questions have been asked a thousand times but i am unclear of a few things

i have a 1980 motor with a 70's head and carbs, it runs well but i will be rebuilding it.
    i have heard the 650 barrels and pistons fit, is this as straight forward as it sounds or is there more to it? also would i be able to use the 550 head with the 650 bits?

also, my engine runs points, i hate points so i will be looking to change to electronic ign, what do i need engine wise to convert it?

sorry for the questions, im used to more modern suzis (gsxr's bandits etc)
    cheers
    Jaffa

it would be best to find a complete 650g motor. That way you will have all the parts needed. For this swap. You won't be able to use the 550 head due to the piston dome/ combustion chamber design differences. And the complete motor will give you the ignition you require as well. Cams, cam chain guides etc. will come with that purchase. I found one on eBay for $250 with less mileage than my 550. Click my name and look up posts I have made. There is one regarding this swap with numerous links from others that have sucessfully done this swap. Good luck and happy reading!

Comment

cheers for the reply, i was afraid you would say that, unfortunately 650's weren't common over here in the uk so getting parts never mind a full motor are few and far between
      think i may leave the top end alone and just go for the ignition swap, cheers for the info.
      what would you say is a safe red line on the 550? as i have a cunning plan

Comment

You'll have no problem running deep in to the red on a 550 - used to run my last modded 550 up to 12k (the end of the tacho) regularly.

What's your cunning plan? I hope it's not one devised by Baldrick!
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Well, it involves a 550 motor running cdi from a bandit 600 in a 400 frame, srad forks and maybe a vfr 400 arm, aiming to do a mini budget Harris

Comment

In that case get the 650 top end.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What makes you say that?

Comment

Working...
              X