Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can cam timing move? DynaS

Dyna S on '79 850g
    My question is, what changed after the Dyna installation?
    Right after installation, it started quicker than my new bike. Carbs are cleaned, synched, valves are in spec, new rebuild on the top end, but it just doesn't pop to life like it did last year when I installed the dyna and coils. The cam does seem to be making noise so I wonder if it jumped a tooth?
    Any ideas?

I'd say one of the best ways to check if it jumped a tooth would be to take the valve cover off and double check your cams, visually inspect for wear or a broken shim (not very likely), the number of cam chain pins between the cam markings as per the shop manual. That will tell you if it is off. Is your chain tensioner in good working order?

As for the less than crisp starts, the spark plugs, plug caps and wires are good places to check. what do the plugs look like? Also, how is your battery's health these days? Coil resistance in spec? Stator and RR good too?

Just throwing out a bunch of potential issues to look at... start with checking the easy stuff, battery, spark plugs, wire connections, then gradually go deeper if that doesn't fix your issue.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

New plugs, battery, all the Dyna stuff incl coils is almost new with less than 200 miles. I need to check the electrical system but need a refresh on how.

Comment

Working...
      X