Bandit Pipe On An 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit Pipe On An 1150

I read some posts a long time ago about putting a bandit pipe on an 1150.Can this be done? If so what years and wich pipe?

Yes, and as I understand it all years will fit, only possible problem is that it may be a little tight at the back of the sump.
    Dink

Comment

I'm not sure port diameter will be the same between the two bikes but every other dimension should be close enough. The '83 and up 700/750 models share the same port diameter as the GSXRs. The design of the 1150 head was identical to the '83 up 750, albeit bigger valves, combustion chambers, and intake ports. I've got an air/oil cooled GSXR Yosh stainless Duplex on my 700. Fits snug and weighs next to nothing.

Any year Bandit pipe should work, they all use the air/oil motors derived from the GSXR1100. Maybe try to pick up a cheap stock Bandit exhaust to try for fit then look for a nice competition pipe if the stock exhaust works.

Comment

The only problem I can see is that the bandit pipes are apparently very restrictive, I was in a shop where the guys had just fitted a Hindle 4-2-1 and a dyno jet kit on a new bandit and according to their in-house dyno they'd unleashed an extra 20 BHP just by fitting the pipe alone!

Still, a set of Bandit headers and a freer breathing muffler might be a cheaper alternative than one of those beautiful (but horribly expensive)Hindle pipes! :twisted: Cheers, Terry.

Comment

So, what are you guys saying:

Will a pipe from a 1200 Bandit be a direct bolt-on to a 1150 ?

I want to be quite confident that this swap actually works, before I go ahead
          and purchase any parts. So, therefore I post this question once more.

/ Mikael

Comment

It's not going to be a direct fit. Mounting tabs on the exhaust will have different locations and the bend will be a bit different. Hopefully the Bandit uses a sliding clamp on the canister. Exact fit didn't matter in my case. I got an exhaust worth about $1000. I never had a chance to check how it would fit the stock peg arrangement. The best thing to do is for someone near a boneyard to see if they have a Bandit or an air cooled GSXR1100 that the exhaust could be pulled from and tried on for fit.

Comment

I own a 1200 Bandit. The problem using the pipes is that although they fit they are double walled. The inside pipe is much smaller than the outside & therefore they are too restrictive. I used an aftermarket header & gained much more power & lost about 15 lbs. in the deal.
              My advise is find another pipe.

Paul
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Maybe, I should explain my motives for such a modification:

1. Only bikes with standard pipes are allowed on our local track days these days,
                due to noise restriction. It would be much nicer to fit a modern style pipe like the
                Bandit one, than stock 1150 pipes. Also, the newer design makes it easy to swap
                to a louder canister outside the track if desired.

2. Also, the standard Suzuki systems are good quality, (although heavy), and it
                would be easy to keep the stainless steel looking good. To be honest, some of
                the 4-1 systems that fit our old bikes are not that impressing.

More questions:
                - Are the Bandit pipes really that bad/restrictive, does anyone know the inside diameter?
                - Will the system fit without being too tight on frame and engine case?

/ Mikael

Comment

Why don't you stick with a nice unrestrictive aftermarket set of bandit headers and then put on a stock cannister? That would still probably give you a good increase in HP without the loudness associated with something like a D&D exhaust.

Usually tracks that have noise level requirements will have an instument somewhere along the track that measures the decibels of your bike. I would think that it being stock or not isn't the real issue, it's the noise associated with aftermarket stuff.

I'm not sure of your location but if you can get any of the european brand exhausts they must all meet basic noise requirements and a lot of them come with removable baffles (they seem to be much stricter in the EU than here in the US). Might be worth checking out

Comment

Another thought, what about a good used supertrapp pipe or at least a supertrapp muffler? I bought a new S/S supertrapp muffler for a car on Ebay for $30.00 and it fit straight on to a set of after market headers for my GS1000S. The beauty of the supertrapp system is that you can make it louder or quieter just by adding/removing discs, and that makes it "tuneable" as well. :twisted: Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Arrow-Bandit headers and canister fits (high or low joints available for canister). I have posted about this earlier also. My friend had Katana with this exhaust, beeeeeaaautiful! Only fixing thing is the cap between mounting flange and bottom of the exhaust hole, it`s too short in the header so you need piece of tubing between exhaust port and header so it tightens up. Yoshimura should also fit if you can find one or Akrapovic...These are popular here in Europe. Look at arrow.it

Comment

And ofcourse with high joint you must forget the passenger footpegs....

Comment

I agree with other posts , just buy a pipe that fits .

You can buy pretty reasonable through a local Parts Unlimited Dealer if they don't try to price gouge you . There are 3 different brand new pipes still available through them

Comment

In my -81 GSX1230 I use GSXR1100 Yoshimura full system, fits nice...

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones
                              I own a 1200 Bandit. The problem using the pipes is that although they fit they are double walled. The inside pipe is much smaller than the outside & therefore they are too restrictive.
                              Stock GS pipes are also double walled, so that should't be the problem.
                              The restriction is mostly caused by the design of the muffler.

Comment

Working...
                              X