No announcement yet.

Spent some time in the "man-cave" - From Wreck to Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cliff, you will need to use brake caliper grease on the pins (parts 9 and 10). It is not the same as your axle grease, it is specifically made for lubricating brake parts. I believe it is a silicone based synthetic, not a petroleum based grease like your axle grease. Most auto parts store will carry it, sometimes in small single use plastic packets.

I think the others are suggesting using brake fluid to reassemble the pistons into the caliper. Chef mentioned the silicone for the rubber bushings (part 11). These are both excellent suggestions.

It looks like you are moving right along with your renovation, thanks for documenting the progress. +1 on the blue, I have been contemplating a color change for one of my bikes and may go that way.

Comment

Thanks Mr. waterman,

Oh boy! Another trip to the parts store.

But, yeah, might as well put it back together with the right stuff and not worry about it. I'll need caliper axle grease for when I redo the rear brakes anyway.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Cliff. I meant to use brake fluid for lubricant on the piston seals when reinstalling the pistons in the calipers. I need to state things more clearly in the future. I find myself at times not adding specifics enough. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray,

No harm done. I kinda figured that was the case. Use brake fluid on the piston and silicone on the caliper axles. I'll keep you informed.

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff - How do you like the L exhaust on there? I've got an '80850G project I'm just starting and I need an exhaust and there is an L available and was wondering how it looked with the G trim.

Comment

Originally posted by glstine View Post
              Cliff - How do you like the L exhaust on there? I've got an '80850G project I'm just starting and I need an exhaust and there is an L available and was wondering how it looked with the G trim.
              Hi,

It looks OK, just different. The "L" exhaust has more of a trumpet flare on the end and it seems a few inches shorter.

I know it looks different without the body parts, but here's a shot of the "L" exhaust...

And here's a shot of the stock exhaust...

I'll post up more pictures when I get my bike all back together. I'm working on the brakes right now and still haven't put the body parts back on.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

And speaking of brakes. I took my calipers to the garage at work today so that I could blow out the pistons with their air compressor. Here's what the pistons looked like...

The pistons are smoother than they look in the picture.

And here's a shot of the worst caliper bore (the other one wasn't nearly as grunged up)...

A closer shot...

I'm really hoping to clean up these parts and reuse them. Should I use fine steel wool or some kind of really fine emery paper to smooth off the aluminum oxidation?

BassCliff

Comment

Good luck
                  I'd replace them though. The whole shebang.
                  Are there pits on the bore? Those aren't pits on the pistons my eyes see?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Here's another picture with the pistons cleaned up a little better...

But there are a couple of spots where they feel rough when I scrape my finger nail across them. I should probably replace them. Thanks for looking.

BassCliff

Comment

Those pistons are junk. replace them.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Cliff, good to see the progress. The blue is sweet!

From the photos, I can't render an opinion on the calipers. Yeah, the bores are a mess, but the piston only needs to run straight and smooth with no hangups. If you can clean the corrosion out of the bore and still have good metal around most of the bore (I'm thinking 75% clean up), I think they will be OK. What needs to be more like perfect is the seal grooves. Those aren't really visible in the pics.

When I rebuilt my 850's brakes, I ended up going through 4 calipers to find 2 good ones.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yup, pistons are junk.

Corrosion down in the caliper bore is no big deal as long as the groove for the seal doesn't have any deep damage which will provide a leak path.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys,

OK then, it's settled. I needed to order some exhaust gaskets anyway. I didn't replace them and I have a feeling that I'll need them. Drat. More waiting. I guess I'll start on everything else and do the brakes last.

BassCliff

Comment

I have some complete calipers left off the 83750ES if they'll fit...

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                                I have some complete calipers left off the 83750ES if they'll fit...

Dan
                                Thanks Dan!

The caliper assemblies have different part numbers:

'80 GS850 = 59100-45200 superseded by 59100-45280
                                '83 GS750ES = 59100-45210 superseded by 59100-45211

The part number for the holder is different too. But they look very similar and they use the same pistons and EBC pads as mine. They might fit so I'll PM you.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X